Project idea: Moving cabinet

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
Hello,

So, it is senior design and our group project proposal is to design an intelligent cabinet that can allow the consumer to bring the entire items or shelves to a height within convenient reach. We have few solutions, including:

1) Installing a vertical rotary mechanism
2) Hydraulic system with a push button

We are still in the brainstorming stage (if you may call it), but I would appreciate any suggestion or idea that can help with project.

Thank you.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Just before I retired they were installing a new parts system in our bond crib area which used a vertical stack. While the project was outside contract it did work out very well. A barcode for a part was scanned or manually entered from an Inventory Control List and the part came up in a bin on a rotary shelf. I would avoid hydraulics simply for the involved logistics and parts.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What will make this cabinet "intelligent"?

Just because the consumer can adjust the height doesn't cut it. If that were the case, every car jack would be an "intelligent automotive maintenance assistance unit".

What is the complete scope of the project you are proposing?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What will make this cabinet "intelligent"?

Just because the consumer can adjust the height doesn't cut it. If that were the case, every car jack would be an "intelligent automotive maintenance assistance unit".

What is the complete scope of the project you are proposing?
I think the idea is the cabinet or storage bin knows where everything is. You give it a reference number and the system brings you the part. That somehow becomes associated with intelligence. Like a mile long hanger rack in a dry cleaner. Your shirt is in location B3 and with the push of a few buttons along comes your shirt. Unfortunately your silk tie was lost.

Ron

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
^ Exactly this.

Keep in mind that we only have a limited budget of $500 (Sorry for not mentioning it earlier), and we will make a project within this limit. So it does not have to be extremely "intelligent", but what Ron described seems to fit the criteria we are looking for.

Thank you,

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What you really want is a "proof of concept" and not a full blown working model of a parts storage system capable of storing 50,000 parts. :)

I would suggest electric motor simply because it is clean and electricity is readily available. Hydraulics you need a reservoir, shuttle valves, and then electric. You guys need to brainstorm the logistics as to motor type, control syatem and the remainder.

Ron

Lerior

Joined Jan 18, 2018
What you really want is a "proof of concept" and not a full blown working model of a parts storage system capable of storing 50,000 parts. :)

I would suggest electric motor simply because it is clean and electricity is readily available. Hydraulics you need a reservoir, shuttle valves, and then electric. You guys need to brainstorm the logistics as to motor type, control syatem and the remainder.

Ron
Thank you, sir.