Programming a microcontroller: Use High level langyage or Assembly?

sireiz

Joined Dec 28, 2013
I want to build a car security system(Supposition) with the following features:
a. Auto door lock after 5 minutes
b. GPS tracking system shutting the engine while we left from our city
c. Sound/Jerks detection and raising alarm

I want to provide all of above features making use of micro-controller with the following specifications:
a. 4 I/O ports
b. 1 Serial port
c. 512 KB of code memory

Should I use any higher level or assembly language?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are pros and cons. Six of one and half-dozen of the other.

Besides we would not allow discussion of this project on AAC if it is related to automotive modification.

sireiz

Joined Dec 28, 2013
There are pros and cons. Six of one and half-dozen of the other.

Besides we would not allow discussion of this project on AAC if it is related to automotive modification.
Thanks, please if you can give me any link where i can find the advantages and dis advantages. I would be grateful.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you use a high level language like C. You will probably save a lot of time coding your project. And you also have a vast program memory. Using assembler will be like flogging your self. But some like that to. What kind of microcontroller do you plan to use

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In a nutshell, if you are a working engineer needing to get a product out the door, program in C.

If you are a student learning about embedded systems, learn to program in asm at some point in your education.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
512KB of memory is HUGE for this app.

Go for C so it can be done in a week.

Go for assembler if you need something to do during a 2-3 year graduate program and brag you got it under 12K (so you waste the extra 500K).

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
512KB of memory is HUGE for this app.

Go for C so it can be done in a week.

Go for assembler if you need something to do during a 2-3 year graduate program and brag you got it under 12K (so you waste the extra 500K).
512k to use with assembler that would be a pain.

Even 4k binary produced by assembler is a pain.

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Left over memory can be random numbers to make the Tetris brick selector appear more random :)

512K might just be the size of the chip being used, not memory that must be used.
If a teacher is telling a student that he must consume resources because they are available,
and judging any quality of a program that way, he shouldn't be a programming teacher.
Send him here if he's doing that.