Program which will open ASC Files

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
FWIW, Adobe Acrobat won't open my .asc files. Adobe's Flash is noted as as an application that can by those websites that list extensions, but I haven't tried it. I have the Flash player plugin in my browser (Safari) but my browser opens my .asc files as text.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
FWIW, Adobe Acrobat won't open my .asc files. Adobe's Flash is noted as as an application that can by those websites that list extensions, but I haven't tried it. I have the Flash player plugin in my browser (Safari) but my browser opens my .asc files as text.
.asc format saved by LTSpice looks completely different from a .asc file saved by an animation program that creates AdobeFlash content. The reverse would also be true.

There are five reported uses of the .asc filename extension.

• ascii text file (generic)
  • LTSpice model data <<<---THE INTERESTING ONE FOR MOST OF US !!!
  • Autodesk file format for sharing drawings with other CAD tools on multiple platforms
  • Adobe Flash - Action Script & Communication instruction file
  • PGP pretty good privacy - early adaptation of the encryption.

All seem to be ascii files so they developers may have simply piled onto the original use of the ASC (ASCII plain text) filename extension.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So the full answer was already given in #2 by @jpanhalt, along with the text-only option in #3.
Maybe.. But the full answer can only be given if the OP/TS decides to provide more details about that file..
Opening it and viewing the "text" is one thing.. But what is the intended use of that file once its opened..