program car remote?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Google is your friend.

Read this.

Then print it.

1. Begin with the key out of the ignition.
2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVER'S side door. CLOSE all other doors including the trunk.
3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the key into the ignition and PULL it out TWICE.
4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
5. Insert key INTO the ignition then REMOVE it.
6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
7. Insert the key INTO the ignition and LEAVE it in ignition.
8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.
9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF.
10. REMOVE the key from ignition.
11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.
12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the first remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.
13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote.
(If you have any additional remotes to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional remotes proceed to step 14.)
14. OPEN the DRIVER'S side door. Programming is now complete.

Ron

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Word to the wise. ALWAYS keep two remotes. If you lose one, make a duplicate. That is what some cars require. I am not familiar w/ Toyota and Ron's advice is good. Just advice for the future.

dixieflash

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Google is your friend.

Read this.

Then print it.

1. Begin with the key out of the ignition.
2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVER'S side door. CLOSE all other doors including the trunk.
3. Within 5 seconds INSERT the key into the ignition and PULL it out TWICE.
4. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
5. Insert key INTO the ignition then REMOVE it.
6. CLOSE then OPEN the DRIVER's side door TWICE.
7. Insert the key INTO the ignition and LEAVE it in ignition.
8. CLOSE the DRIVER's side door.
9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF.
10. REMOVE the key from ignition.
11. The door locks will now cycle to confirm the vehicle has successfully entered programming mode.
12. PUSH and HOLD the LOCK and UNLOCK button for 1.5 seconds on the first remote being programmed. As soon as you let go PUSH the LOCK button and HOLD it for 2 seconds.
13. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote.
(If you have any additional remotes to program repeat step 12 if you have no additional remotes proceed to step 14.)
14. OPEN the DRIVER'S side door. Programming is now complete.

Ron
Thanks, Ron, you're a life saver. Complicated - surprised you don't have to jump twice over the hood! :)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thanks, Ron, you're a life saver. Complicated - surprised you don't have to jump twice over the hood! :)
Most are that way. I thought my GMC truck was bad till I saw the above. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right but normally if you go through it and get it right they work.

Wife has a classic little 99 Tahoe and during 99 they changed mid season so you need the VIN number to maybe get the right fob. Needless to say my first attempt was the wrong one.

Ron

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
My GOD! All that to program a remote?
That's the dumbest crap I ever heard of. I'm surprised that they didn't add the trunk opening and closing after you first close it somewhere in there.
Brzrkr

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
That's the dumbest crap I ever heard of. I'm surprised that they didn't add the trunk opening and closing after you first close it somewhere in there.
Brzrkr
If you think that Toyota's are bad, you should check out the manual process for adding a Subaru remote.

Still both are much better then trying to add a Volvo remote which requires an original code that was printed on package or new oem remote all together, plus a subscription to VIDA (volvo software. Even the lowest 3 day subscriptions option is not cheap) and then finally an additional purchase of the "software" download is required to flash the remotes id into the cars system. I charge a minimum of $350-400 just for 1 replacement key/remote & programming on the cheapest Volvo's. Usually I will even just turn these job down unless I already have an active subscription going. Even at $350 I'm not making much on my end except a pissed off customer.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
As much as I respect Auto Mechanics because they have to learn all the new tech that manufacturers seem to just throw in their cars, I would not pay $350-$400 to program a remote! I am not so lazy that I couldn't use the key that's on that same key ring along with the remote. That's a months worth of food or power bill.
Now I know "NOT" to buy a Volvo which I don't think I ever would but this is a good example of dealer over reach.
Brzrkr

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I would not pay $350-$400 to program a remote!
Yea I hear that often. I do a lot of specialty stuff that is very expensive even tho my prices are on low side in market. People will curse me out for a good five minutes, call me all kind of names and hang up on me. Most end up calling back a week or two later because either no one else can do the job or the few who can are twice as expensive. Mostly what I do is not a choice of convince but a necessity in the car being up and running.

The Toyota keys wern't bad. The brake pedal and security light is used. The master key is required. So, $18.00 for a cut kay and then about 20 minutes to program a key.

A Chevrolet you program through the radio or the Tech II. Programming deletes all the other remotes.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
My remotes (both) stopped working years ago. I always have made a spare key to keep in my wallet just incase I lock my keys in my SUV. I moved and don't ask me how but I couldn't find my keys (Probably got lost in a box I haven't open), LUCKILY! I had my wallet key and still use it till this day.
The only reason I can think of that a remote would be totally necessary is if it's freezing outside and you could use the remote start the car. I fortunately live in the south so it doesn't get that cold here and my SUV doesn't have remote start.
Brzrkr

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
The only reason I can think of that a remote would be totally necessary is if it's freezing outside and you could use the remote start the car.
You would need a remote start for this not a keyless entry.

The most common reason is simply convenience but there are some models where the alarm will disable fuel supply. Some others like 2006-2015 Chrysler's, where they decided to be cheap and not place a alarm disable switch in the door lock results in the alarm going off every-time you open the door in til you place key in and turn the ignition. This may sound like a small inconvenience but I can assure you it is not. These jobs are not that expensive, just giving examples of why people usually call me for remotes.

The brake pedal and security light is used.
The toyota security lights are purely just indicators. Its actually the the key buzzer switch inside the ignition cylinder. This switch when activated sends a lo signal to the ecu to sense when the key is inserted. With out this you can not trigger the manual programming sequence which is all the brake/gas pedal, door & lock actions.

Fun Fact for most all 98-04 Toyota's. There is no obd or manual programming possible when all master keys are lost. Dealer will say you need a new ecu but in reality its a pretty easy job to complete manually in hex. Even possible for most to DIY.

A Chevrolet you program through the radio or the Tech II. Programming deletes all the other remotes.
Most GM models are manual programming for the years TechII was in service. This is an old tool and was mostly phased out around 2008 being replaced with the new device called "MDI". Tho the MDI still uses a tech2 emulator for early models.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Brzrkr
All that is to prevent accidental reprogramming. That AND another way to soak hundreds of dollars out of you for a small transmitter.

What you haven't told us is if you've solved your problem. Anyway, late to the thread, but here's a YouTube video on the process (that Ron already shared with you).