Program 12F683 Using USB to Serial Converter and external power

PlasmaT

Joined Feb 19, 2015
Has anyone tried to use a USB to Serial converter with an external power supply (to get up to the PIC programming voltage) and programmed a microchip such as 12F683 ?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Nope, and don't you do it either, especially if this is your first time using a PIC.

Even a baseline programmer like the PICkits have a debugger built in, which allows you to watch your code running and check register values (and even change them) on the fly.

Building a programmer is possible. I’ve done it myself, but I have tons of experience with these parts and several different programmer/debuggers to choose from on my bench.

And welcome to the furums!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
+1
Get a genuine Microchip PICkit2 or 3. Whatever you spend on it will be repaid over and over in the time you don't spend screwing around with flaky or inconsistent development tools. Avoid the cheap Ebay clones for the same reason.

PlasmaT

Joined Feb 19, 2015
+1
Get a genuine Microchip PICkit2 or 3. Whatever you spend on it will be repaid over and over in the time you don't spend screwing around with flaky or inconsistent development tools. Avoid the cheap Ebay clones for the same reason.
Thanks for the friendly advice. But I just wanted to make my own programmer and feel the thrill in making one.

PlasmaT

Joined Feb 19, 2015
Nope, and don't you do it either, especially if this is your first time using a PIC.

Even a baseline programmer like the PICkits have a debugger built in, which allows you to watch your code running and check register values (and even change them) on the fly.

Building a programmer is possible. I’ve done it myself, but I have tons of experience with these parts and several different programmer/debuggers to choose from on my bench.

And welcome to the furums!
Thanks for the warmly welcome.
I did some search and came across this circuit

[source: http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpic/ ]
Going to give it a try by connecting a USB to Serial Converter to the D9 port specified. Hope this works.

Attachments