Problem in PIC Kit 2 while using it for 16F84A

shirohin

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Hi,

I had purchased PIC Kit2 and a PIC ICSP adapter from a website. I also downloaded the PIC Kit 2 programmer software from Microchip website. I already had MicroCode Studio and MPLAB IDE and I generated a hex file for my code using this. Now, while programming my micro controller (PIC16F84A), the PIC Kit 2 software is showing "No Device Found". I have tried all the trouble shooting steps but of no use.

Can anyone help me in this?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

I had purchased PIC Kit2 and a PIC ICSP adapter from a website. I also downloaded the PIC Kit 2 programmer software from Microchip website. I already had MicroCode Studio and MPLAB IDE and I generated a hex file for my code using this. Now, while programming my micro controller (PIC16F84A), the PIC Kit 2 software is showing "No Device Found". I have tried all the trouble shooting steps but of no use.

Can anyone help me in this?
First verify VPP, PGC, PGD, VDD etc are all connected to where they should be connected.

shirohin

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Thank You all for the reply...I purchased both the PIC Kit 2 programmer and the ICSP adapter from the website onlinetps.com....u can find both these devices in tht website under "Programmers" section.

As far as connections are concerned, I connected pin no. 1 in the PIC Kit 2 to the pin no. 1 in the ICSP adapter and so on for all 6 pins.. plz let me know if I specifically need to do somethin' else.

Thanks once again.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thank You all for the reply...I purchased both the PIC Kit 2 programmer and the ICSP adapter from the website onlinetps.com....u can find both these devices in tht website under "Programmers" section.

As far as connections are concerned, I connected pin no. 1 in the PIC Kit 2 to the pin no. 1 in the ICSP adapter and so on for all 6 pins.. plz let me know if I specifically need to do somethin' else.

Thanks once again.
It's still not very clear which adapter you used. Was it this one:

http://www.onlinetps.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=925

?

Is it possible you simply plugged your chip into the wrong holes? That would not be hard to do. Make sure you have your chip inserted properly.

Der Strom

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I would normally recommend you get the real Microchip PICkit (or any tool they sell), but as you already have this one then by all means let's get it working.

What I like the most about my PICkit2 is it has a 6 pin socket on the end, so when I make breadboards or even some production boards all I need do is add a strip of 6 pins as the PICkit clone you have uses. Pins are cheaper and easier to add then a socket. The huge benefits you get from this is the ability to reprogram the PIC without removing it from your board, and you can also use the PICkit to do debugging of your code.

After you get the Programmer Adapter working I would recommend you add a 6 pin socket onto your PIC board so you can use the PICkit directly to it and not use the Programmer Adapter. For now the adapter will get you going and also serves to verify the PICkit is working.

You should be able to get continuity using just an ohmmeter between the following pins:

Rich (BB code):
Signal      PICkit2 pin   PIC16F84A pin
VPP/MCLR        1             4
VDD             2             14
VSS             3             5
PGD             4             13
PGC             5             12
no connect      6           - - -
You can put the PIC into the socket when you buzz this out. That way you confirm the part in in correctly.

If the part is in correctly and the PICkit still doesn't see it you should return it as it seems to be not functioning, though the PIC itself could also be bad.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would normally recommend you get the real Microchip PICkit (or any tool they sell), but as you already have this one then by all means let's get it working.
The OP mentioned he had a PIC Kit 2. Weather it is a real PIC Kit 2, who knows.

Why people buy these 3rd party programmers is beyond me. The real II and III aren't that much more expensive and many times more capable.

I would recommend the III as it supports the newer PICs.

OP really needs to supply a lot more information. This is like shooting in the dark.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The OP mentioned he had a PIC Kit 2. Weather it is a real PIC Kit 2, who knows.

Why people buy these 3rd party programmers is beyond me. The real II and III aren't that much more expensive and many times more capable.

I would recommend the III as it supports the newer PICs.

OP really needs to supply a lot more information. This is like shooting in the dark.
OP indicates in post #6 he got the clone. I'm guessing he was using a local supplier for everything.

I agree the PICkit 3 is more capable, I hesitate to recommend it as I don't have one. I have an ICD3 for devices the PICkit2 can't handle.

What I would like to know (to be helpful and perhaps a bit nosy) is what is his target device platform? What is he going to stick this programmed PIC into?

shirohin: we're glad you're here and we do want to help you get thru this.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
OP indicates in post #6 he got the clone.
Where do you see that? He said he had the PK2 and an adapter. He says nothing of a clone, as far as I can see. My guess is he just had the chip plugged into the socket on the adapter incorrectly.

EDIT: Just found where he said that both the programmer and adapter could be found on that page. The only programmer there is a clone, so if that's what you're talking about, it makes more sense :D I guess we should ask the OP if it is a real PK2 he has, or if it's a clone. I say the real thing is the best for your money. Just buy a PK2 or a PK3. PK2s are becoming obsolete quickly, so I personally would jump for a REAL PICkit3.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
They just released a new device file for the PK2, I have just about every dev tool (icd 2 and 3, pickit 2 and 3, ICE, etc), and find myself using the PICKit 2 the most.

When they have a standalone program for the PICKit 3 that offers UART Debugging, I might use it for my main go to programmer.

I would strongly advise against using any "clone" or DIY PIC Programmers. Nearly 100% of the people who have problems programming a PIC are using a clone or a DIY. For $35 (max of $10 extra over a clone), it is really not worth the headaches.

I just posted this in another thread, may as well throw it here as well. It is from the Mid Range Reference Manual section on ICSP.

Last edited:

shirohin

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Dear All,

Thanks a ton once again. I had foolish enough not to check the placement of PIC in the adapter. I have now successfully uploaded the program in the PIC.

Yes, am using a clone, however, it's workin' fine. Am just a novice, passionate enuf for Robotics, so just constructed my 1st circuit for testing the PIC with IRs.

Special thanks to ErnieM. Ur pin description helped a lot.

Thanks again guys.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Some things Shirohin. If you design your board correct. It is not needed to take the chip in and out from the circuit. The PICKIT 2 and 3 or clones. Are ICSP type programmers(ICSP=In-Circuit Serial Programming™). And also the 16f84A chip is quite old. Newer PICs have many more modules on board. Like timers,UART, and PWM. And on top on that they cost less. A nice PIC for you may be the 16f690. It also come with a internal RC oscillator.

shirohin

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Sure...will definitely hv these things on mind goin' forward. I wud definitely go on to advanced PICs, just wanted 2 hv a grip on bsics 1st. Thanks a lot.