Preventing 555 timer fire for x time.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Aren't TRI and THR supposed to be isolated in a one shot? TRI on VCC and DIS and THR together instead?
Not necessarily, that's what makes the 555 so versatile.
When first powered up with the switch open the LED is ON because the TRI input is low. When the switch is pressed C6 charges rapidly through D1 and R7 until it reaches the 2/3Vcc of the THR input. The output goes low and the DIS pin clamps the voltage at the anode of D1 at appx .02 volts reverse biasing D1 so C6 must discharge to 1/3Vcc before the cycle can repeat.

Last edited:

Zerth

Joined Dec 21, 2022
Not necessarily, that's what makes the 555 so versatile.
When first powered up with the switch open the LED is ON because the TRI input is low. When the switch is pressed C6 charges rapidly through D1 and R7 until it reaches the 2/3Vcc of the THR input. The output goes low and the DIS pin clamps the voltage at the anode of D1 at appx .02 volts reverse biasing D1 so C6 must discharge to 1/3Vcc before the cycle can repeat.
Thank you for all your effort in providing solutions and explaining. Something must be wrong with my simulator. I will build it on the breadboard and see what happens.

Is that a particular kind of diode you are using? The squiggly line is usually a Zener or a Schottky right?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I've read that I can build a voltage divider circuit to precharge the A2 capacitor to 1/3 VCC so that it is precharged before the first firing attempt.
Below is the LTspice simulation of a 555 gated astable circuit where the first period is essentially the same as the following cycles:

Schottky diode D1, R4, and pot U3 maintain the minimum Trig voltage on the C2 timing capacitor close to 1/3 Vcc.
Edit: I added a pot, similar to that shown by sghioto in post #20, to allow for component tolerances.

OR gate U2 keeps the input Enable signal from truncating the last pulse (if that's important) when it goes low.

1671689212116.png

Last edited:

Zerth

Joined Dec 21, 2022
Here's another version of the 5 sec delay timer. Holding the switch down does not restart the delay but will send a pulse every 5 seconds.
View attachment 283551
It's very odd, when I build this in MultiSim. It gives me a convergence error and then when I resolve the error it says it can't find it. Then when I run it it just outputs high forever. The LED stays lit perpetually and IC1 just outputs high forever.

You can confirm that this worked for you on the breadboard as shown in this diagram?