Powersupply transformer problems

Deltafee

Joined May 22, 2015
Hello, I am creating a power supply for my sensor array basically to sum up the power supply the transformer is a SPW-2304 link here: http://www.premmagnetics.com/Products/Details/SPW-2304 Its one unique factor is instead of pins 1234 its pins 1243 so I took that into account but there are a few problems my professor asked me to address which is why I need some help I have uploaded my schematic to this thread his basic problem is this "the transformer is sort of left-right backwards. The two input coils should be in parallel in the same phase, and the output coils are in series with ground in the common middle." I think he is referring to the description of the transformer in general but I just want to make sure I hook it up correctly.

Thanks

Just a side note, it's done in eagle and I do not know how to simplify it

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The two input coils should be in parallel in the same phase
That is going to be the difficult part if you don't have the manufacturer's spec for the correct terminations or the terminals aren't numbered.
Consider how you would tell if the phasing is correct. Hint: you should use a mains-rated low power incandescent lamp in series with the transformer input windings, or else reduce the mains input using a variac, in solving this.

Deltafee

Joined May 22, 2015
That is going to be the difficult part if you don't have the manufacturer's spec for the correct terminations or the terminals aren't numbered.
Consider how you would tell if the phasing is correct. Hint: you should use a mains-rated low power incandescent lamp in series with the transformer input windings, or else reduce the mains input using a variac, in solving this.
Well it's right here on the electrical drawing website: http://www.premmagnetics.com/Products/Details/SPW-2304
Also the pins are numbered.
I just need help interpreting it.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You use the black dots on that drawing to give you proper phasing.

The manf. Site you linked even tells you the proper connections for 110 and 220 connection. Primary connections for 110 would be 1 & 3 and 2 & 4. Follow the same rule if paralleling the secondary.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The schematic is correct as drawn. If you are going to create a PC board based on this schematic, be sure to check the physical pin arrangement in the component decal. Neither the primary nor secondary pins are in numerical order.

ak