Powering DC circuit from an AC lighting circuit switch drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Can I ask why this is not allowed to be discussed in the forum? is the use of a uC or low power DC device powered by the mains via an AC/DC converter dangerous?...and thanks for the link.
This very question is the major reason that it is not allowed to be discussed. Too many people (of the experience level that come to a forum like this) will think of such a circuit as safe since it just has a low power DC device and they won't realize the very real potential for getting tangled with the mains AC voltage, which can easily be lethal.

lesneypark

Joined Dec 31, 2015
1) Since there appear to be numerous commercial examples of this, there must be a way to do it properly.
I agree which is why I'm sticking with this as I'm determined to find out how it can be done.

2) These are potentially dangerous things to play with, and I'm skeptical at this point that the TS is qualified to take chances with them. I'd recommend that the TS find a qualified engineer for help before proceeding with this (which is probably why the TS is here in the first place.)
Agreed, however this has come up a couple of times so for the avoidance of any future doubt I am a professionally qualified electrical engineer and have 15+ years experience of designing LV & HV electrical systems however I have very little experience in electronics design which is why I am posting on this website. I understand the dangers of electricity and do not wish to develop something fundamentally unsafe. It has always been my plan to develop a proof of concept myself which will be engineered by someone with the right level of experience with electronics. At this stage I am just working through the feasibility of the idea.

I for one am very interested in knowing how those existing products get the power they need without a neutral. This is a fascinating question.
As am I therefore I appreciate your help.

lesneypark

Joined Dec 31, 2015
If I were you, i would try to figure out a way to avail the AC source permanently; For example, always turn on the AC switch and establish another switch to turn on / off the light.
Herein lies my query and what I'm seeking assistance with.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Agreed, however this has come up a couple of times so for the avoidance of any future doubt I am a professionally qualified electrical engineer and have 15+ years experience of designing LV & HV electrical systems however I have very little experience in electronics design which is why I am posting on this website. I understand the dangers of electricity and do not wish to develop something fundamentally unsafe. It has always been my plan to develop a proof of concept myself which will be engineered by someone with the right level of experience with electronics. At this stage I am just working through the feasibility of the idea.
My apologies then. Thanks for the clarification.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
This thread will be closed, you can start a new thread to show your new idea, but the contents should not be violate the User Agreements as I showed in the #36.

Status
Not open for further replies.