Powerbank project, problem with voltage

axdias

Joined Jan 25, 2017
Hey guys, so i decided to make a powerbank with some stuff i have at home. Okay so to start i'm portuguese, english isn't my main language and i'm still in high school and i need to finish two more years to go to an university. Okay going to what matters, i decided to do a powerbank with a car charger that i found. Its basicly a transformator to reduce the voltage received from the car. I saw the specifications about the charger and im going to connect the charger with a battery or more. The voltage input of the charger is 12-24 volts and the output and is 5 volts. So what i was trying to guess was if i should connect the charger to one battery with voltage lower than the 12 volts asked by the charger or if i should connect more than one battery in serie to increase the voltage. As you can see im quite noob in this stuff. I dont know too if this powerbank is good or i will just create a fireball but im waiting for your thoughts! Thx Alex!

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The obvious answer is, "Follow the instructions". Connect it to 12V to 24V.
I don't think you're going to hurt it if you try 8V or so. Just measure the output and see if it fails to perform the 5 volt function when you feed it lower voltage. It probably won't work with 6 volts because that's just too low to account for the waste in the regulator, but you can try it.