PowerBank Dies immediately

Firas Rihan

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Hello,
so I bought a step up convertor 5v to 9v-12v-20v... And I soldered it to my 5v power bank and took the output to power with it my 9 volt router in between electricity outage.
But as soon as I plug it in the router the batteries die out immediately in less than a second, from 5v to ~0.13 volt with no clear reason.
I tried another lithium batteries but the same issue happens.
Knowing that the step-up converter measures 9v at output before plugging it so it's working properly.
My router is havit 2 antenna input 9 volt 600mA

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
9V at 600mA is 5.4W. If your stepup converter uses 1W itself the total power of 6.4W must be produced from the piwer bank which is a 5v current of 6.4W/5V= 1.28A. What is the maximum output current of your power bank? If it is less than 1.28A then it will shut down to protect itself.

Actually, the router probably has a large main power filter capacitor that draws a high current for its first charge. so at first, the current from the power bank is much more than 1.28A, maybe 5A or 10A.

Do you have the power bank always trying to charge and to power the router at the same time without switching? Then the battery ln the power bank will never fully charge and it might be damaged.

Firas Rihan

Joined Dec 9, 2020
9V at 600mA is 5.4W. If your stepup converter uses 1W itself the total power of 6.4W must be produced from the piwer bank which is a 5v current of 6.4W/5V= 1.28A. What is the maximum output current of your power bank? If it is less than 1.28A then it will shut down to protect itself.

Actually, the router probably has a large main power filter capacitor that draws a high current for its first charge. so at first, the current from the power bank is much more than 1.28A, maybe 5A or 10A.

Do you have the power bank always trying to charge and to power the router at the same time without switching? Then the battery ln the power bank will never fully charge and it might be damaged.
Thanks Sir,
That might be the problem I'll try it on a 2.4 A powerbank, and yes it's always charging and delivering but it's a new powerbank so the battery is still new.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
If the power bank is charging and delivering power output at the same time then it will never be fully charged and might be almost dead all the time.

Tell your electricity provider to stop producing outages. My electricity is very reliable here in Canada. Every part of the system has a backup so that if a part fails then the backup part keeps the electricity going. When there was an outage then everybody cheered.

Firas Rihan

Joined Dec 9, 2020
If the power bank is charging and delivering power output at the same time then it will never be fully charged and might be almost dead all the time.

Tell your electricity provider to stop producing outages. My electricity is very reliable here in Canada. Every part of the system has a backup so that if a part fails then the backup part keeps the electricity going. When there was an outage then everybody cheered.
Sadly we're in Lebanon, we don't even have 24/24 electricity it's barely supplied by an 11 hours a day so when it goes out there's a 2 to 4 mins outage gap until a third-party supplier turns on the motor and it's so irritating when you're in a meeting online and suddenly the internet's out.
Besides that, I got extra batteries, if I added batteries to the initial ones to raise it to about 9v without the step up converter, will the powerbank deliver 9 instead of 5v? or it will be fried

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Your main electricity is on for only 11 hours a day? Then a 3rd party has a backup generator that takes time to start running?
Is it because of the recent huge explosion in Beirut?

I think adding extra batteries to the power bank will cause damage.
I have heard that people with your problem use an Uninterruptable Power Supply.

Firas Rihan

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Your main electricity is on for only 11 hours a day? Then a 3rd party has a backup generator that takes time to start running?

No it's not because of the explosion, we've been like this for more than 30 years because of our corrupted politicians and their greediness for stealing people's money...
Anyways thanks a lot sir, you really helped.

Firas Rihan

Joined Dec 9, 2020

No it's not because of the explosion, we've been like this for more than 30 years because of our corrupted politicians and their greediness for stealing people's money...
Anyways thanks a lot sir, you really helped.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Interesting how some people dont seem to understand that not everyone on this planet have 24/7 mains power.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Living in some countries is like living on the moon. Ordinary things are absent and common parts are not available.
EDIT: They live in the dark ages long ago.

Last edited: