PowerBank Dies immediately ..#2

syeddiy

Joined Jun 10, 2021
Hi everyone!

I have a very unusual issue with my power bank. It shuts off output as soon as i connect my usb speakers. Its not a permanent issue sometimes I have to keep trying plugging in and out and it works occasionally.

Where as this power bank turns ON for all other USB devices and works well. On the other hand all other power banks turn ON when I connect my USB speakers and they work well.

I would really appreciate if any one can give me the solution and reason why its happening.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Mod: Created your own new Thread.E
Link to Old:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/powerbank-dies-immediately.174848/post-1577751

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It's probably because your Speaker Amplifier doesn't pull enough Current,
so the Battery-Management-Chip thinks that there is no Load connected, so it turns off the Output.

Do Your Speakers have a Battery inside ?? If they do, it may be worn-out or bad.

Firas Rihan

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Hi everyone!

I have a very unusual issue with my power bank. It shuts off output as soon as i connect my usb speakers. Its not a permanent issue sometimes I have to keep trying plugging in and out and it works occasionally.

Where as this power bank turns ON for all other USB devices and works well. On the other hand all other power banks turn ON when I connect my USB speakers and they work well.

I would really appreciate if any one can give me the solution and reason why its happening.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Mod: Created your own new Thread.E
Link to Old:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/powerbank-dies-immediately.174848/post-1577751
Hi, it's either your speakers takes very small current, since the power bank shuts off when no current is passing, or your speakers are consuming a higher rated current than you power bank output.
Is your power bank output current 2 amperes or less with 5 volts? and what are the input specs for your speakers?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
It's probably because your Speaker Amplifier doesn't pull enough Current,
so the Battery-Management-Chip thinks that there is no Load connected, so it turns off the Output.

Do Your Speakers have a Battery inside ?? If they do, it may be worn-out or bad.
It could be the other way too, isn't it? Too much current being drawn....?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Could be, but it's very unlikely unless it has some kind of Short-Circuit inside.
After all, the Speaker is specifically designed to run on 5-Volts and ~1-Amp,
which is exactly what the Power-Brick is supposed to supply.

The question needs to be answered as to whether or not the Speaker has
its own rechargeable-Battery inside, or not, and whether it works normally.
Then we can start to narrow-down the possibilities.

It's not uncommon for people to keep on using a rechargeable device long after the
Battery is completely shot, by simply leaving it plugged into a Wall-Wort or a Power-Brick.
This is fine for a while, but the deteriorating Battery may
start to cause problems if it is not removed,
but some devices won't operate without a working Battery.

syeddiy

Joined Jun 10, 2021
Thanks to everyone for the prompt response to my issue.

Let me share details as required.

1. My speakers don't have a built in battery.
2. They just work on USB power source such as laptop or pc. May be drawing 1amp max. I tried keeping the volume at lowest level also.
3. They were USB powered but I wanted to make them portable by adding a power bank and a bluetooth as well. Everything works fine once the power bank gets activated while trying plugging and unplugging usb connector.
4. My power bank supports more than 1amp load.
5. I kept a USB light in parallel with speakers but still it does not activate the power bank.
6. When ever I insert the connector in power bank its blue led just blinks and shuts off output. Whereas if I connect any other device it glows on as long as device is connected.
7. Presently Iam using old nokia mobile charger cable from the speaker circuit to the Power bank. Connections are proper but still can a charging cable be responsible? I will try by replacing the cable to see if it works.

My feeling is, power bank circuit is sensing something wrong with the speakers and turning it off itself. Hope that I get the solution for the above.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Attachments

syeddiy

Joined Jun 10, 2021
Hi,

I'm glad to inform that the problem is solved. It was a capacitor 2,200micro farad across the power supply of amplifier circuit which was drawing too much current when I connected the power bank resulting in overload protection activation.

I have another power bank of VARTA whose output got damaged as I connected heavier than the rated output of the power bank. The charging circuit and status, all are working fine. Is there a way to restore the output section of the power bank. If so which components usually get damaged and how to test and repair.

Thanks and regards,

Attachments

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Hi, it's either your speakers takes very small current, since the power bank shuts off when no current is passing, or your speakers are consuming a higher rated current than you power bank output.
Is your power bank output current 2 amperes or less with 5 volts? and what are the input specs for your speakers?
One way to tell if it is too small a load or two large may be the time the power bank takes to turn off. Too much load will probably turn off right away. Too little load takes a few seconds. 5-10 in my experience.