Power supply topology for solar energy harvesting

paul.joshua17

Joined Oct 26, 2016
I'm currently enrolled in Design Project in our school, me and my group mates would like to design a DC-to-DC converter that will supply a CCTV camera and can work 24 hrs without sunlight. What type of power supply is the best to use with the said application? And also it will transmit the data wirelessly. Here are the parameters:

100 W solar panel
12V CCTV camera
Transmitter (Maybe a Zigbee)
12V Lead acid battery

Thanks.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A charge controller to avoid ruining (overcharging) the battery would be a step up in robustness and complexity but might be a good addition, depending on the relative sizes of the panel and the battery.

The camera can just run directly off the battery, right?

paul.joshua17

Joined Oct 26, 2016
A charge controller to avoid ruining (overcharging) the battery would be a step up in robustness and complexity but might be a good addition, depending on the relative sizes of the panel and the battery.

The camera can just run directly off the battery, right?
Yes. Can I use a resonant converter?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
One of the first things to do is to compile the specifications of all the components. You said you need to power the camera for 24 hours from the battery. The power demands of the camera will dictate the minimum battery you need to accomplish that. The power demand will also dictate how much solar panel you need.

If your battery is large enough, and depending on your panel details, you may not need anything but a blocking diode. The panel may not be able to over-charge your battery. Maybe you need more. We can't tell.

My point is, don't zero in on specific components and the technology they use until you've outlined the system end-to-end and identified the critical specifications.