Power supply recommendations? (constant voltage)

Mustwin351

Joined Apr 11, 2013
I was in the market for a power supply to power 12v led strips. Taking a current reading the strips by themselves draw 65 watts.

What should I look for in a power supply and where is the best place to buy it?

Can I buy one that is good quality that doesn't put out much RF noise that will interfere with my wifi or a nearby stereo fairly cheaply?

Any thoughts or links would be great!

Mustwin351

Joined Apr 11, 2013
Scott that one you posted would be great but it's a little to close to my load. I would like at least 20% headroom.

Dodgydave -
I like the idea of a computer power supply. I wonder if I could run it without the fan?

Mcgyvr -

I was actually surprised it wasn't drawing more power. I'm running 32' of double density leds strips. According to the specs at full brightness it should be more like 96 watts.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Scott that one you posted would be great but it's a little to close to my load. I would like at least 20% headroom.

Dodgydave -
I like the idea of a computer power supply. I wonder if I could run it without the fan?

Mcgyvr -

I was actually surprised it wasn't drawing more power. I'm running 32' of double density leds strips. According to the specs at full brightness it should be more like 96 watts.
Yes you can run it without the fan, but it will get very hot and its not recommended.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html

Mustwin351

Joined Apr 11, 2013

Dodgydave -

Mcgyvr -

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012

Dodgydave -

Mcgyvr -

It's wierd, why you posted the same contents twice, did you see my new post.