Power supply fuse question

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
OK so I pulled another ancient piece out of the close to finally take a look at. All I can remember is that it blew the 125v 8a fuse on the power supply board. I think I also remember being a complete idiot and trying to bridge the fuse gap with something solid. This was probably 15 years ago, so memory could be dodgy on this.

My main question is I have 125v 5a or 125v 10a fuses for me to try and fire this thing up again without ordering the exact fuse quite yet. Im thinking I just should use the 5 amp but thought I would ask which would be best.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well if you try the 5amp and it blows, you won't know if it was due to some initial inrush or a fault?.
The 10amp is not a great deal higher, and if there is a significant short it will show up with this fuse also, obviously the best solution is an 8a fuse.
Also has to be known if a fast or slo-blo was originally fitted.
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
youj could wire a light bulb in series with the plug for the ancient piece in place of the fuse, if, when turned on, the light bulb goes to full brillience, there is a definate problem. the light bulb will also limit the current to a hopefully safe level to prevent further damage.

Fastmerc

Joined Feb 20, 2015
Well I put in the 5amp fuse and the unit powered on. The fuse is still working as of now. Hooking up a source and speaker does produce sound although very distorted. So there is something amiss in there. But as it happens the mail carrier has delivered the parts to fix my other more important receiver so I am going to finish working on that today, unless that goes remarkably quickly then I can get back to this one.