Power supply for vintage mixer AC 17-0-17

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Thanks for the heads up Ylli, my first tendency would be to connect in parallel... but I would be doing some research first... no need now! ;)

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
I again! So parts arrived, got them together and tested the voltage:
Not as advertised...
last night 236v on pri -> 42v on sec
right now 229v on pri -> 40v on sec
checked secondary 1st and 2nd winding, adds up, 20v on each.

any thoughts... too much?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The output volts may drop a bit under load. But anyway, it will just give you a bit higher, 28to29VDC, before the regulators so it should be ok.
Do the regulators have heat sinks?

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
The output volts may drop a bit under load. But anyway, it will just give you a bit higher, 28to29VDC, before the regulators so it should be ok.
Do the regulators have heat sinks?
well, There are 3 heat sinks on the board, not really sure id they are on regulator... I've put photos of the board, they are on the beginning of the post

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
:( and the nightmare begins.... :eek:

Well supposing I got everything connected the right way... the mixer may be garbage!

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
Do you get the +/- 15V out, and the +5V ?
at the din socket I get the supplied voltage... however, testing further, I've got continuity between pin 7 and 6 and the 2 fuses... ON leds, turns on if I touch on 3 and 7 at the same time, probably 1 and 6 also, could the schematics be inaccurate?

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
I'm going to risk it and connect to pin 4 and 5 (last post I said 6 and 7, but it was 4 and 5 that's connected to the fuses

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
As far as I can see, the other pins on the DIN connector are just the audio out pins so should not do anything.
I would not connect them to the 20VAC pins unless you want to pop something. Have you checked the DC supply volts?

RARVA

Joined Jan 29, 2018
As far as I can see, the other pins on the DIN connector are just the audio out pins so should not do anything.
I would not connect them to the 20VAC pins unless you want to pop something. Have you checked the DC supply volts?
well dandad... from the schematics the "power" pins are connected to the fuses... the fuses are connected to 4 and 5... I believe I already connected audio pins 1 and 3 to 20vac... so... if it popped damage is already done! :D
I re-soldered using pins 4 and 5 as power... and lights on... will test now with audio

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I hope it works. It may be worth while writing an update on the circuit as it does look like the diagram is wrong. Later, when you or someone else comes to service it, that may prove useful.
I'm going out for a bit but hope to hear you have a working mixer when I get back. Good luck :)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Hi everybody I had a thought should I luck of buying the mixer..I’m now trying to obtain a power supply
This thread died out almost 3 years ago. You should start a new thread with your own question. You can include a link to this thread for background detail. Be sure to include as much technical information/requirements as possible in your question.

ak

audio2

Joined Mar 2, 2022
Although this thread is now more than 3 years old, it has been very helpful to me (I have a Soundcraft mixing desk missing its power supply). So thank you to the OP for asking the question and completing the project, and thank you to all the helpful contributors.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Hammond has some low-profile PCB mount transformers with dual 17VAC windings. 229B34 (340mA), 229C34 (700 mA), 229D34 (1.4A). About $30 USD for the big one.