Power supply and data communication at the same line?

Burak Doğançay

Joined Jul 20, 2016
Hello Everyone,
I am new in this forum and unfortunately i didn't know where to open this subject.
Nowadays, I am investigating the topic of how to ensure power supply and data communication at the same line.As we know there are so many communication protocols like Uart, I2c , rs-485,rs-232, spi .But we are using them for for communications in low power devices like microcontrollers and even we don't use them for power supply applications.

Is there any way to ensure power supply and data communications at the same time or any IC for this operation?

For example I dont want to use any type of communication protocols like above and simply send data from power line with producing pulses or using proper Ic for this operation.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Without defining the data rate, it's hard to give a definitive answer.

Consider "Power Over Ethernet" and "X10" as points of research.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's a little hard to tell what your objectives are, but I suspect that is just an issue with English as a second language. We can work through those.

If the basic question is the one in your title, then it is definitely possible to send data and power over the same lines. In addition to the PoE (power over Ethernet) and X10 systems suggested by Sensacell, you might also look at "power-line communication".

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It's basically done by using LP filters to allow the DC to pass to the power circuits while blocking the HF data signal, and using HP filters to route the data signal to and from the desired processing circuits while blocking the DC.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hello Everyone,
I am new in this forum and unfortunately i didn't know where to open this subject.
Nowadays, I am investigating the topic of how to ensure power supply and data communication at the same line.As we know there are so many communication protocols like Uart, I2c , rs-485,rs-232, spi .But we are using them for for communications in low power devices like microcontrollers and even we don't use them for power supply applications.

Is there any way to ensure power supply and data communications at the same time or any IC for this operation?

For example I dont want to use any type of communication protocols like above and simply send data from power line with producing pulses or using proper Ic for this operation.
The most common way is to add power and signal creating a new one. at the receiver both are split again.
if the carrier(power) is DC a lf signal is added to it easy to extract ( capacitor or transformer) most used mechanism.
It is all more difficult when AC power is used (line impedance distance power levels could play a destructive game with the data)
Picbuster