Power Strip Schematics

mistercode

Joined May 30, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have been looking for some solid power strip schematic files on the internet but cannot find any. Was wondering if anyone out there could find anything. I am trying to use an 8-outlet schematic design as a baseline for a project I am doing. It could be less outlets than that (I can expand), but looking online I mostly get fully realized power strips (such as being sold on Amazon).
If you guys had any you have came across, I would like to open some schematic files in Kicad to tinker with. I am a beginner as you can see!
PCB files wouldn't hurt as well. Just having no luck searching.

Thanks guys.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Your question is not clear. A power strip is a bunch of AC outlets in straight parallel connections. There are no electronics except for optional surge suppression. What is wrong with a purchased power strip?

ak

mistercode

Joined May 30, 2013
Your question is not clear. A power strip is a bunch of AC outlets in straight parallel connections. There are no electronics except for optional surge suppression. What is wrong with a purchased power strip?

ak
I may add things like optional wifi/bluetooth connectivity. And you said no electronics? I know there are relays, and diodes involved. I just want some schematics of power strips to look at.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Why are there relays and diodes in what is essentially an extension cord? What, exactly, do *you* mean by "power strip"? Are you talking about some kind of power distribution center where each output is individually selectable on or off? If so, please post some information/photos/something.

ak

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I may add things like optional wifi/bluetooth connectivity. And you said no electronics? I know there are relays, and diodes involved. I just want some schematics of power strips to look at.
Um, no. A standard $4.50 (like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61zfgsPFm1L._SL1500_.jpg) power-strip is just outlets connected in parallel. There are NO relays. Possibly no diodes either as they rely on the shape of the outlet itself to prevent someone from plugging into it incorrectly. If it has surge-suppression, that can be fuse, bi-metalic strip, thermistor, etc-- could be any number of things, but they won't be all that complicated.

If you don't understand this, you shouldn't be messing with A/C MAINS power.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Very simple, the power goes in via a strain relief and first goes to the SW/C-B and then daisy chains to each socket.
Generally only the live conductor is switched, don't forget the earth ground wire, also daisy chained throughout.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Or if you need an industrial version they use #14g stranded to each socket.
I added a ON/OFF toggle switch to one of the outlets.
Max.

upload_2018-3-31_13-8-14.jpeg