Power socket limitation to 13A?

ilsapoel

Joined Apr 23, 2019
Hello, I will make this as quick as possible because I am sure the answer is straight forward.
I have purchased a 300W 12v power supply for a project that I am currently making. I calculated that i will be using roughly around 16A (2 devices, one at 10A and one at 6A) which at 12V translates to 192W (so clearly my power supply is able to deal with it). I am currently in the UK where type G is used which as I've read is fused at 13A. Does this mean that any power supply with a rated wattage of more than: 13A*12V=156W is pretty much useless in terms of using the full power cabability of the power supply? Also in my case, is the only solution to by another power supply?
Thank you in advance,
Andreas

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello, I will make this as quick as possible because I am sure the answer is straight forward.
I have purchased a 300W 12v power supply for a project that I am currently making. I calculated that i will be using roughly around 16A (2 devices, one at 10A and one at 6A) which at 12V translates to 192W (so clearly my power supply is able to deal with it). I am currently in the UK where type G is used which as I've read is fused at 13A. Does this mean that any power supply with a rated wattage of more than: 13A*12V=156W is pretty much useless in terms of using the full power cabability of the power supply? Also in my case, is the only solution to by another power supply?
Thank you in advance,
Andreas
The current draw of the PS from the mains will be less than the output current.