power semiconductors -help

VeyTa

Joined Aug 17, 2015
Hi @all

I am currently writing a report on a semiconductors and struggling to undetstand differece between 1) IC and power IC and 2) different types of power semiconductors particullarly Mosfets and IGBTs... why does power semiconductors need a driver, controller IC and switch... I am not an engeneer and all these topics are very comfusing for the moment...would really appreciate sound feedback..thx

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Since you have no experience with or even background information about these devices, why are you tasked with writing a report on them. Understanding even simple explanations about your questions requires some familiarity with electronic components or it won't make much sense. I'm not picking on you or anything, just pointing out that you seem to be a relative beginner, but your question requires a more advanced experience.

ak

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
AnalogKid asked a very relevant question, but perhaps I can rephrase it in a way that might help you move forward. Why are you writing a report on this topic? What is the context of the report, who is the intended audience, and what is the purpose of the report. Knowing those will help you focus on what is important for this report and also help us give you relevant suggestions and info instead of going off into the technical weeds.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am currently writing a report on a semiconductors and struggling to undetstand differece between
Why are you writing a report on a topic that you seem to know little about?
1) IC and power IC
No fundamental difference. They can be combined on a single die or separated for various reasons. Below is a die photo from a National Semiconductor Linear Applications Handbook of an LM109 voltage regulator with a pass transistor that can handle more than 1A along with all of the "non power" circuitry:
lm109Die.jpg
2) different types of power semiconductors particullarly Mosfets and IGBTs...
Apparently you aren't inclined to even do basic research before asking for help. Googling "IGBT vs MOSFET" gave this whitepaper from IRF on that exact topic as the first hit.

Last edited: