Power question in training notes.

keramberkev

Joined Oct 15, 2018
I have come across this question and answer (500 Watts) in a set of training notes and it seems fundamentally flawed to me. Am I missing something here??upload_2018-10-16_12-6-29.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have come across this question and answer (500 Watts) in a set of training notes and it seems fundamentally flawed to me. Am I missing something here??View attachment 161628
If you are reasonably convinced that the answer is wrong then you are missing nothing. If for some reason you think the answer is correct, but the diagram is wrong, then you might be overthinking things.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
There is no connection. That is why the TS and I think there is a mistake. Either the answer is wrong, or the diagram is wrong.
This is a boss trap. If you say the answer is wrong, the teacher will say the diagram is wrong, if you say the diagram is wrong, the teacher will say the answer is wrong, in any case after the test its already too late to dispute the results....

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This is a boss trap. If you say the answer is wrong, the teacher will say the diagram is wrong, if you say the diagram is wrong, the teacher will say the answer is wrong, in any case after the test its already too late to dispute the results....
This was not represented to be a test. It was one of a number of questions in a set of training notes. I understand your fascination with conspiracy theories, but they don't seem relevant here. In any case it is a poor example, with misleading information.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
This was not represented to be a test. It was one of a number of questions in a set of training notes. I understand your fascination with conspiracy theories, but they don't seem relevant here.
I have no fascination about conspiracy theories, but I do not deny the truth either. Stop thinking that you are right, because you have only what someone tells you to base it on. After someone prooves that the Earth goes aroung the Sun, it will be too late to say I am sorry for all the witches I burned!

keramberkev

Joined Oct 15, 2018
This was not represented to be a test. It was one of a number of questions in a set of training notes. I understand your fascination with conspiracy theories, but they don't seem relevant here. In any case it is a poor example, with misleading information.
Thank you all for your input. Papabravo actually hit the nail on the head in his very first answer. The actual question appeared "as is" in the student questionaire but without the "answer" and all students have been responding correctly with 50mW as the answer.
The 500W in bold was actually in the instructors guide to the right answer. Having recently taken over the course, I was sure it made no sense and I could not justify it in any way. However, before opting to strike it, I decided to do a sanity check with all of you oracles of wisdom. I am now satisfied that the question writer has made a typo and I can correct the error in full confidence that I am in fact sane (well almost) after all.
Thanks to you all for your time and effort in responding.
Regards
A wiser man.