Power out Breaker not Tripped

Raver

Joined Jun 20, 2017
So Few days ago power shuts off to my room I'm thinking Breaker trip because probally overloaded. So I check Breaker all fine shut them all off turned them back on nothing. Few min later room turns back on by its self next day same thing happens never turns back on. So it's a total of 6 outlets 2 wall switchs that control cealling fan and an outlet.

I swapped Breaker with a working one still same problem I open all the outlets looking for hot wire thinking swap outlet will fix my problem but none of outlets or switch showing me any hot wire.

I Swaped out 1 outlet only extra I had on hand still nothing I was thinking of just swapping them all out hopefully get lucky my question is should one of the outlets be hot or if 1 bad outlet even in middle of the string bad wont show being hot to the Rest?

Any advice is much Apreciated thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks as though when it happens you need to do some systematic trouble shooting, do you have a meter?
The swap out method of troble shooting can get tedious.:(
Max.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Sorry your having a problem with your wiring. There are a few things that I would check.

First what type of Box is this home wired off? Square D, GE, or so on and on there are many many out there.

I have dealt with some really messy homes wiring from Hidden GFCI to faulty wiring in outlets broken wires in the crawlspaces or attics. One home I went back to 3 times in 1 year for 3 different fails. So this first one I am going to share may be something you are dealing with because it came back on its own.

Check your Breaker Box and push on your breakers. Check to see if you can hear any arching or anything like that where the Breaker makes connection to the Buss bar. Be very careful while doing this.

At the same time, I would double check all the connections in your box. This is most safe with the Main breaker off Don't rely on the breakers to be off when they are turned off. I have found many faulty breakers that don't turn off all power at the lug. The last one I found was with 32V when the breaker was off... Not everyone has Power safe tools and so please be safe if your working with Open shank drivers. Turn off main, test the breakers to be tighten with a Volt Tester. I wouldn't use a DVOM if you don't have one anyway I would test with the right tool made for testing mains. A good one not Perfect one is an Ideal 61-065 as one that maybe be found at most big box stores or Electrical Warehouse. This is good for up to 600v and is good for showing even bad volts. Where if you have a DVOM/DMM that isn't auto ranging or is on the wrong range or in the wrong mode it could be costly to you or your test equipment. Another thing I would get if you can afford one, is a Triplett 3388 Hotwire Fox and Hound. It is made for working on Live wires and dead ones as well. The nice thing that I love about them is they can find floating wiring behind walls, wood bricks and so on. More then 2 foot away from the hound.

If your Main box is outside as it is in some locations don't work on things while it is raining and always use rubber mat and rubber sole shoes. No matter where you box is always know of thing things around you and it is safe to only work in your box with one hand. Also be safe and only work when there is someone around but not next to you. No matter what always test the line your going to work on before you touch anything to make sure there is no live power.

The Power Probes are not 100% unless it is a good quality brand with a great track record. Most that you can get at home depot or other stores are in my book are for reference and I wouldn't stake my life on them