power measuring using microcontrollers

gobi615

Joined Jul 26, 2011
hi . i am doing a project in that line voltage, current and power want to measure using microcontroller(pic) for home(phase voltage 220V , 5A) . by using transformer is it possible to measure the voltage? or any ADC available to measure the voltage.. please help with this.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
hi . i am doing a project in that line voltage, current and power want to measure using microcontroller(pic) for home(phase voltage 220V , 5A) . by using transformer is it possible to measure the voltage? or any ADC available to measure the voltage.. please help with this.
Just measure the voltage? That is fairly easy. First you are going to have to step the voltage down and convert it to dc so the mcu can read it. That is the harder part.

Reading the voltage with the mcu is fairly easy. First you need to choose one. What have you chosen?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Measuring current and voltage separately or (rectified) will not give you any information about the apparent power. In order to obtain true detailed information you may need to take other parameters like crest factor, harmonic distortion and phase angle between current and voltage into consideration. I don't know if this is important for your project.

Have a look HERE and HERE.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Look at the thread. This is a one post wonder. The OP has not responded since the original message. I would not waste my time.