Power LED module and finding the correct resistor...

Ftwist

Joined May 14, 2019
Hello All,

I have what must be a very simple problem but I'm struggling to get my head around it.

I have these TruOpto OSPR6XW5-W4XZE1E1E White 6500K 6x1W Power LED 600lm and I am running each module of a 12v 3a DC power supply however I feel as though my working out is wrong while calculating the value of the resistor I need to use in the circuit for current limiting purposes.
So I am hoping you will be able to help me and show me where I am going wrong!

So...

R = (Vs - Vf) / If
Resistance = (Source Svoltage - Forward Voltage) / Current
Fill with info from the datasheet:

R = (12v - 10v) / 0.35
R = 5.7

Am I shooting in the right direction?
There is no mention of 'Forward Voltage' on the Datasheet so I have used the typical operating voltage.

Then I presume I have to work out a Power rating for the Resistor once I have the correct resistance value?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Ftwist,
If this not homework, you may get the help you require, if I move the Thread to General Electronics Forum, please advise.?
E

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hello All,

I have what must be a very simple problem but I'm struggling to get my head around it.

I have these TruOpto OSPR6XW5-W4XZE1E1E White 6500K 6x1W Power LED 600lm and I am running each module of a 12v 3a DC power supply however I feel as though my working out is wrong while calculating the value of the resistor I need to use in the circuit for current limiting purposes.
So I am hoping you will be able to help me and show me where I am going wrong!

So...

R = (Vs - Vf) / If
Resistance = (Source Svoltage - Forward Voltage) / Current
Fill with info from the datasheet:

R = (12v - 10v) / 0.35
R = 5.7

Am I shooting in the right direction?
There is no mention of 'Forward Voltage' on the Datasheet so I have used the typical operating voltage.

Then I presume I have to work out a Power rating for the Resistor once I have the correct resistance value?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Where did you get these values? Particularly If and Vf? I see you explained how you picked 10V for Vf, but why?

Re: power rating, yes, you do! How are you going to do that?