Power factor

Thread Starter

kvi037

Joined May 17, 2013
17
Hi,

I'm struggling with this task for my preperation for a exam next week.
Can sombody please help me?

An AC voltage of amplitude 150 volts is impressed across a pure resistance of 100 ohms. Calculate the current and the power dissipation when the frequency of the voltage is 60 cycles/sec.
 

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,180
Firstly, we have to make some assumptions.
When you say amplitude we would assume that to be the value A as in v = Asin(ωt).

To calculate power, we need to use the rms value.

The power factor is 1.
 

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,196
The thread title implies that you are looking for the rms values, but the question sounds like you might be looking for instantaneous current and power dissipation. Could you please clarify?
 

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,196
Basically correct, but your equation is not consistent with your result.

You have

I = 150/0.707*100, which is 21216

You you should get in the habits of tracking your units throughout your work. So it should be:

I = Vrms/R = (150Vpk)*(0.707Vrms/Vpk)/(100Ω)
I = 1.0605 Vrms/Ω = 1.061Arms
 
Top