power cord, What's this thing? (see pic)

tryin2fixit

Joined Sep 30, 2012
The thing circled...what's it for?

I took one off a power cord the other day cause it was a bad cord.
When i wiggled it the power kept going out.
Wondering if it's something important.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
It is a filter to keep high frequencies from causing interference to nearby electronic things. Since it is near the connector then I think it filters the thing that it is powering because if it filters itself then the filter would be closer to itself.

tryin2fixit

Joined Sep 30, 2012
So it's not too important?

The one i took off...i threw it out yesterday so it's gone now or i'd take a pic.

Inside it was like crunchy dark grey stuff it seemed like.. coarse rock plasic mixed with metal, and a little sparkly...it cracked into pieces when i was taking it apart.

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
So it's not too important?

The one i took off...i threw it out yesterday so it's gone now or i'd take a pic.

Inside it was like crunchy dark grey stuff it seemed like.. coarse rock plasic mixed with metal, and a little sparkly...it cracked into pieces when i was taking it apart.
You can't fool us. We all know you are tryin2fixit's evil twin, tryin2breakit.:D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks! So i've decided not gonna worry about it not being there.
Just keep in mind that without it, your device is more susceptible to high frequency spikes and is more likely to be seriously damaged. A common source for such spikes is a power surge, especially ones caused by lightning storms.

It's there for your protection. If you care more about not having a little black bump in the cord than you do about the safety of the device, then you should be fine without it. Otherwise, they make clip-on ones that you may be able to buy for cheap.