Power Brick and old style CCTV camera.

Brandon Hisey

Joined Apr 12, 2017
I have a power brick with two wires. I'm hookinh it up to a old CCTV camera direct with wire. I try and hook up the wires to the 24v connection and the negative but no power. The camera only gets power if I connect the power brick wires to both 24v connection. Weird? I thought I needed a ground.

If you consider the negative terminal of the 24v supply to be the COMMON terminal, we can call it 0v. The rest of the circuit is measured in reference to that point. This COMMON terminal is often referred to as GROUND without a physical connection to GROUND. Not all circuits require a physical GROUND connection.

Not exactly sure how you are trying to hook this up... how many connections are on the CCTV? You mention 24v connection and negative and then both 24v connection.

Any additional nformation you can provide on the device would possibly be helpful.

Brandon Hisey

Joined Apr 12, 2017
It's almost the this this configurations. I have a power brick with 2 bare wires I'd hook up to the back of the camera. 2 terminals say 24v and the other says negative. (Picture only has 2 terminals).

The wires comming out of the power brick arnt labels postive or negative and I don't know if it matters where I hook them. I find I only get power when I hook the wires to both 24v connectors. Also I don't know what would happened if the wires should each other.

Attachments

Does your power brick provide AC or DC output? If it is DC then it should be connected to match the (+) and (-) inputs.

Not sure why you have two power inputs, would need more information on the module itself. From your experience, it requires connections to both power inputs to work, so I would go with both.