power amplifier - class AB HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

yash_avengers

Joined Sep 28, 2015
The requirements are a minimum of 8W RMS power to 8Ω speakers with a maximum of 1% second harmonic distortion and 0.2% third harmonic distortion. Single chip integrated IC amplifiers are not allowed. BJT and MOSFETs in class A, AB, D or circlotron topology are recommended.

For the amplifier I tried building the EXACT circuit on this circuit. But apparently the signal got de-amplified instead of amplifying.http://hackaweek.com/hacks/?p=332

I think I probably need to change my resistor, capacitor values but not sure what value exactly I should choose. ALso need to change the PNP and NPN transistor as well as I think that might be the reason I am not getting desired output.

Can anyone help me in deciding what kind of set of resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors I need as per my requirements?

Mod edit: One thread is enough, keep it on the other thread in the homework section.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
That's a tiny amplifier and cannot deliver the kind of power you want, nor the performance.

Look up a real amp instead. Bits are much easier to stablize

Russmax

Joined Sep 3, 2015
Yash, the 1st step is to determine the voltages and currents that you will need to meet the 8W, 8ohm requirement. You will need to understand the relationships between RMS and peak voltage, and how that relates to the supply voltages you will need. You will also find the the amount of idle DC current in the output transistors has a large effect on the distortion.

If you do the class AB amplifier you've picked, you will find that particular circuit is not well designed, and you will be lucky if it works at all. It is also a difficult load for your signal source to drive. You will need a circuit with nearly equal input and output voltages, so you can apply feedback to help control non-linearities. Keep researching to find a better circuit. If this is a class assignment, I bet the textbook is a good place to start. If not, look up Douglas Self for a complete approach to designing AB amplifiers with low distortion. He has books, but also a lot of online materials:

http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm

The short version of my reply is that this project is very big, and this forum is inadequate for us to do much more to help you. You're not describing a simple homework problem, but a large project. Especially if you have to build it.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.