Power Adapter Connector Identification

brainbulb

Joined Jan 30, 2018
Hello all,

I am looking for some help identifying a connector on a Dell laptop power adapter and where to procure one. I have attached a photo, the OD is 7.4mm. Thanks in advance.

20180130_101111000_iOS.jpg

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

If that is the one i think it is, it also has a metal barrel INSIDE as well as the one outside we can see in the photo.
That means there are three connections to the power pack not just two like we normally see.

Unfortunately i dont know what they are called or the part number. They come with various laptops that's all i know right now.

Why do you need this though? You can probably find a wall wart that fits your device online and it will have the connector.
Connector-1.jpg

brainbulb

Joined Jan 30, 2018
Great observation, there is a metal barrel inside as well. I am trying to place the PCB that the mating end to this connector is attached to inside a housing different that the one it came in, so I need to extend this connection and still be able to use the original wall adapter.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello all,

I am looking for some help identifying a connector on a Dell laptop power adapter and where to procure one. I have attached a photo, the OD is 7.4mm. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 144729
This connector is called a "SmartPin" connector and it is quite a pain. There is indeed another barrel on the inside, and the outside-inside barrels are the power connections. The center pin is for the computer and power supply to verify that it is a genuine Dell power supply, or o genuine HP supply, both brands used them. The purpose is to assure that the computer product will not function without the expensive supply from the original manufacturer. But that center pin is very fragile and when it breaks off things don't work. So you pay another $120 for a supply that you can find the same spec and get for $20 or less. That is why I call it a pain.