power a power supply without an electrical outlet

jogpo

Joined Mar 30, 2013
hello,

i would like to use my 10A ajustable switching power supply in a place where there are no electrical facilities. Can i use a 220V inverter plugged on a car battery to power it ? How many watts this inverter should be rated ? in my case does it matter to buy one that output a pure sine wave ? will my power supply smooth it ?

thanks in advance

jogpo

Joined Mar 30, 2013

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Seat-of-the-pants, ball-parky type numbers:

10 A at 30 V is a max output of 300 W.

It is a switcher, but not super efficient because it is adjustable. Figure 70% max, so that is 430 W. The user manual Specifications page might list its *best* efficiency.

With a 220 V output voltage, an inverter would have to supply 2 A continuous output current. For cooler, more efficient, and more reliable operation, oversize the inverter as much as you can afford.

Inverters are not very efficient, either, so again figure 70%. It needs 615 W input power, or 52 A at 12 V. That's a lot.

ak

jogpo

Joined Mar 30, 2013
Seat-of-the-pants, ball-parky type numbers:

10 A at 30 V is a max output of 300 W.

It is a switcher, but not super efficient because it is adjustable. Figure 70% max, so that is 430 W. The user manual Specifications page might list its *best* efficiency.

With a 220 V output voltage, an inverter would have to supply 2 A continuous output current. For cooler, more efficient, and more reliable operation, oversize the inverter as much as you can afford.

Inverters are not very efficient, either, so again figure 70%. It needs 615 W input power, or 52 A at 12 V. That's a lot.

ak
thank you for taking the time to explain it. So according your statement 60A car battery plugged into a 1000W inverter should do the job.
And do i need a pure sine inverter ? or will the power supply smooth it ?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
No way to predict. My guess is that the PS will run ok, but the noise on its DC output will include noise components of the inverter's output waveform and its internal switching frequency.

ak

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
thank you for taking the time to explain it. So according your statement 60A car battery plugged into a 1000W inverter should do the job.
Don't confuse Ah with A.

A 60Ah battery is sized at the 20h rate, ie, 3A for 20h (though in reality you'll only get 60-70% of that). It can supply much more than 52A (starting a car is 150A+) but at that level of output you'll be lucky to see 20-30min before its too discharged to be useful.
Unless you can keep it charged, ie by running the car engine.