Pottery wheel PCB not working

PotteryMike

Joined Jun 22, 2020
Hi, and thanks for having me on here.
I bought an electric pottery wheel for spares or repair and am trying to repair it. It plugs into a normal 240v socket and has a simple rheostat variable speed controller operating a 1/3 hp DC shunt motor. The electrics have got wet at some point and the pcb needs to be repaired. It doesn't look too badly damaged, probably just remove and solder in some new components but I need advice on the components. I can solder but am not an electronics expert or even that knowledgeable on electronics.
Here are some pictures. Would someone be able to let me know if I am right and that the pcb is worth repairing? If so, any pointers as to exactly what?
The green Capacitor needs to be replaced. marked 0.1uF (x) ....
As does a paper? capacitor marked as P22 100.
As does the power transistor in the heat sink marked ITT TC 06 40
I would also like to add in a switch to reverse the rotation and need help with that too.
Any info would be useful.
Is RS Components the best place to try and buy from?

IMG-2604.JPGIMG-2609.JPGIMG-2608.JPGIMG_2593.JPGIMG_2591.JPG

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Seems rather an elaborate circuit just for a pottery wheel, the motor shows a DC shunt field motor.
I would remove all the corroded components and clean the area and replace and try that first, I get all my components from Digikey.
Maybe get it working and then figure out a reversing circuit.
The simplest is to reverse the two motor armature leads.
Max.

PotteryMike

Joined Jun 22, 2020
Seems rather an elaborate circuit just for a pottery wheel, the motor shows a DC shunt field motor.
I would remove all the corroded components and clean the area and replace and try that first, I get all my components from Digikey.
Maybe get it working and then figure out a reversing circuit.
The simplest is to reverse the two motor armature leads.
Max.
Thanks for the prompt reply and heads up about Digikey. I can't comment about how elaborate the circuit is but maybe it was a Rolls Royce of pottery wheels in its day :)
Mike

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Unfortunately not
Start by cleaning the corroded areas and testing those components as best you can. If leads have been completely corroded, remove them and look for replacements.

Are you able to trace the components to make a schematic for regions with visibly damaged parts? It should be relatively straightforward because it's only a single sided board.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the prompt reply and heads up about Digikey. I can't comment about how elaborate the circuit is but maybe it was a Rolls Royce of pottery wheels in its day :)
Mike
If the motor control is all there is as to the unit. It should be easy to come up with an alternative, if all else fails.
Probabally as hard as Rolls Royce to get circuit info, e.g. Someone in the US contacted R.R. to ask what the HP of his Silver Ghost was, they answered, "Sufficient". o_O
Max.

PotteryMike

Joined Jun 22, 2020
Start by cleaning the corroded areas and testing those components as best you can. If leads have been completely corroded, remove them and look for replacements.

Are you able to trace the components to make a schematic for regions with visibly damaged parts? It should be relatively straightforward because it's only a single sided board.
Thanks again Dennis. I will do my best with a schematic, it is, as you say, a straightforward board. The corrosion is limited to a few areas which is good.