Potentiometer sensitivity

RyanBRZ

Joined Oct 22, 2014
I recently replaced a potentiometer on an amplifier, using the same level resistance as the original (20k linear). I noticed that once I get to about 30% (turned clockwise) I see no difference up to the 100% position. Can I put in a higher impedance pot to get more accuracy so I'll see a level of difference at each position? The original pot that came with the amplifier works the same way.

Thanks!

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
volume controll pots are not usually linear, they use log taper pots to mimic the response of the human ear. that keeps the volume changes from crowding up at the bottom of rotation.

RyanBRZ

Joined Oct 22, 2014
The pot that came with the amp is stamped B203; I used a DMM, set it to 20k and it reads 19.5 at full resistance and the taper is definitely linear. This is for gain control on the amp, I'm not sure if that's considered the same as volume but I suppose it's the same right?

I'm better off with log taper?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The pot that came with the amp is stamped B203; I used a DMM, set it to 20k and it reads 19.5 at full resistance and the taper is definitely linear. This is for gain control on the amp, I'm not sure if that's considered the same as volume but I suppose it's the same right?

I'm better off with log taper?
Yes, a log taper should give you a more linear pot movement relative to the perceived sound level.

You can mimic the response of a log pot reasonably closely by putting a 2k to 3k ohm resistor from the wiper to ground. You might try that to see how it works. The only problem would be if the source can't linearly drive the lower resistance that this configuration provides. If so, you would need to use a 200k ohm pot and a 20k to 30k ohm resistor.