Potentiometer dependability question (1M to Zero)

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Will a 1M potentiometer go from (not including the tolerance) 1M to zero?

The ones I got from eBay are inexpensive, and a little on the cheap side.. Just wondering if all potentiometers don't go down to zero.

I see that mouser electronics has some nice Bourns potentiometers, but I was wondering, do they go from whatever the max is down to zero resistance?

I'm also aware that a potentiometer is also a single package deal as far as they are also voltage dividers.

Besides the cheap ones (but working) I got from eBay, isn't a potentiometer supposed to go from max value down to zero resistance?

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I often use pots like these when I need one. The specs claim:
"Absolute Minimum Resistance ........................ 1.0 % or 2 ohms max. "

I take that to mean a 1M pot would go to 10K minimum (i.e., 1%).

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
I often use pots like these when I need one. The specs claim:
"Absolute Minimum Resistance ........................ 1.0 % or 2 ohms max. "

I take that to mean a 1M pot would go to 10K minimum (i.e., 1%).
Welp, I guess I didn't look at the datasheets too well. Because like you showed me, the values are there in the datasheet(s).
This one, is a 1MΩ potentiometer, and it's absolute minimum resistance is 2Ω maximum.

Thanks for the help. I now understand and know what to look for on the datasheets for potentiometers for absolute minimum resistance.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note the the adjustment will likely not be linear when you get to near zero ohms.
It will likely smoothly go to perhaps 1% or so of its maximum and then jump to near zero when the wiper contacts the metal connection end of the resistive element.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010

Guest3123

Joined Oct 28, 2014
Ok, so I got these potentiometers or should I say trim pots.

Not a bad thing, in fact it's exactly what I wanted, but.. correct me if I'm wrong, but the datasheet says.

Absolute Minimum Resistance .................................... 1 % or 2 ohms (whichever is greater)

Ok, so 10,000 Ω would be greater than 2 Ω. But my 6000 counts DMM reads 0 Ohm's, not 10k.

These are very nice trim pots. The resistance is 1.004MΩ to ZERO.

Unless there was a mix up. Which I hope not, becaue I'd like to depend on these being exactly the way they are, if I wanted to buy more.

Mouser Part #:
652-3362R-1-105LF

Just goes to show the datasheet isn't always correct.

I should pull them out again, and shoot a picture of the results. Absolutely awesome.
AAA.jpg BBB.jpg

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Consider yourself lucky. Pots were only good to +/- 10% when I started.:p
In fact, a 10% fixed resistor was considered good!:eek:
One of my biggest problems as a noob was predicting how a circuit would work with (3) or (4) 20% resistor values in it.:(
I just couldn't figure out how you can call it, "engineering" when it looked so much like guessing.:confused:

Pots have "zero" problems, high end problems, and linearity problems. The only way to eliminate that is to pay good money, not $1.98:D