Possible to repair washer control board?

Testdepth

Joined Dec 6, 2016
I have a 2yr old (1yr warranty) LG washing machine mdl WT1201CV with what I suspect is a bad control board. Control board is EBR76262101 and it is encased in some sort of silicone compound. I believe the relay for the drain pump is bad and want to replace it. Is there anyway to get to it without destroying the board in the process? I would say the coating is 1/8 to 3/8 thick clear rubber feeling coating.control board.jpg

Testdepth

Joined Dec 6, 2016
That picture was to show the coating. Here is the board with relays. I thought about cutting through the bottom to possibly desolder the relay.
A new board is over $200.

I suspect the drain pump relay is bad.

control board 2.jpg

Testdepth

Joined Dec 6, 2016
Fuse is for the noise filter and power. The washer is completely functional except for not draining water. I installed a new pump and it didn't fix it. That leaves the control board and the relay on the board.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you can access the relay connections while it is running, you could trouble shoot with voltage reading.
Although I have used this method on a stove relay, this looks a little trickier to trouble shoot live.
Max.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You could trace the pump feed back to the relay contacts, and see if there is AC power on them, or see if there is a coil voltage applied, that will determine which is at fault.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There appears to be many sources, ebay etc, if you locate the SPDT version, you can just cut the N.C. pin off, to make it SPST.
Max.

Testdepth

Joined Dec 6, 2016
Most of the Ebay is China and I may have to go that way if I can't source them in the US.

It is possible to cut through and remove enough coating to then use a soldering iron and a solder sucker to get the faulty relays out.

relay removal.jpg

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
It is possible to cut through and remove enough coating to then use a soldering iron and a solder sucker to get the faulty relays out.
Sometimes you can use a soldering iron as a hot knife and plow furrows thru the coating, then grab the chunks with needle-nose pliers.