Possible to repair a controller cable with lightning connector?

jivenene

Joined Jan 2, 2021
My son broke the connector off his Rotor Riot RR1850 remote, which connects to iphones via lightning connector. I'm trying to solder a new connector onto it, but after some reading, I'm beginning to think the connector end is potentially custom to each vendor. Apparently the phones will query the device and figure out if they need to connect in Host mode, so as to supply power to the device (think OTG for android).

My confusion lies in the fact that the cable for this remote has 5 wires (red, black, orange, green, white), whereas it seems a standard lightning cable has 3, red, white, green (unshielded braid is gnd). I searched but could not find any info on this. Anyone have any idea if it is possible to get a cable that is compatible and splice it in?

Attached are pics of the cable end and the broken connector front and back.

thx

Attachments

jivenene

Joined Jan 2, 2021
Just a little note: It seems all the diagrams i found online of the internal connections on a lightning cable plug end are incorrect (attached). The two cables I have tested at home show simple symmetry, with pins 1-8 mirroring on either side (so 12345678 on top, 87654321 on bottom), so if one flips the cable, the same pins are located in the same position relative to the internal pins of the socket. That makes more sense than the convoluted drawings found online.

Also to note that when the other end of the cable is USB A, only pins 1-5 of the lightning end are used, which makes sense since 6 (L1n) 7(L1p) and 8 (ID1) have no where to go on the 4 pin USB A plug connector.

However, when a device is plugged into a phone like this controller, which puts the iphone into "Host mode" and the controller into "Device mode", it then uses pin 8 to determine what the device is.

Anyway, I have searched for a 5 conductor cable like the one the remote came with, but it appears it is proprietary to the Rotor Riot remote :(

Attachments