Possible Error in DC Current Divider

LouTheBlueGuru

Joined Jan 15, 2007
First, let me say this the best practical text on electronics I have seen and I have a number. There seem to be a few minor errors in the DC book in section 6.3.

For example, the current through R1 is half as much
as the current through R3, which has twice the resistance of R1.
I believe this should read something like,

For example, the current through R1 is twice as much
as the current through R3, which has twice the resistance of R1.

and

The current through R1 is still exactly twice that of R2, despite the fact that the source volt-
age has changed.
should read

The current through R1 is still exactly twice that of R3, despite the fact that the source volt-
age has changed.

I would have guessed that these errors had already been caught, but just in case they were not, here they are.

Lou

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi LouTheBlueGuru,

Thank you for your comments on the on-line e-book.

Error Report 1:

For example, the current through R1 is half as much as the current through R3, which has twice the resistance of R1.
Indeed this is incorrect. Because the text previous to this refers to an inverse relationship I propose the following correction to make it consistent in the context in which it is written:

For example, the current through R3 is half as much as the current through R1, since R3 has twice the resistance of R1.
Error Report 2:

The current through R1 is still exactly twice that of R2, despite the fact that the source voltage has changed
You are right, it should read:

The current through R1 is still exactly twice that of R3, despite the fact that the source voltage has changed.
Thank you for pointing out these errors. Feel free to indicate any further errors you may come across.

Dave