Porting of code designed for one microcontroller to another microcontroller.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You tell me i dont no the TS lol but
The arduino has 32 bit arms like the due which runs code that a uno can run so you could use its usb and most any thing you want add if the TS
Did his coding using a arduino it be easy.

Like at work theres a counter it was made with guess what a uno had 4 buttons and 3 seven sigments
They updated it its now a due with touch screen
The maker said its basily the same 4 button code
With only small changes to add a updated screen.
Thats because someone did the hard part of fixing the ide to handle the uc cores you have a lot that can use arduino code pic avr. Arm intel all of those. Can run code that you make with a arduino ide

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You tell me i dont no the TS lol but
The arduino has 32 bit arms like the due which runs code that a uno can run so you could use its usb and most any thing you want add if the TS
Did his coding using a arduino it be easy.

Like at work theres a counter it was made with guess what a uno had 4 buttons and 3 seven sigments
Thats because someone did the hard part of fixing the ide to handle the uc cores you have a lot that can use arduino code pic avr. Arm intel all of those. Can run code that you make with a arduino ide
Maybe it is me, but I find your posts hard to read, and somewhat incoherent.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Maybe it is me, but I find your posts hard to read, and somewhat incoherent.
<off-topic warning> Here is my attempt to translate for you...

You tell me i dont no the TS lol
“He doesn’t personally know the TS”

but The arduino has 32 bit arms like the due which runs code that a uno can run so you could use its usb and most any thing you want add if the TS Did his coding using a arduino it be easy.
There are Arduinos that have USB”​
and
Arduino C is easy”​
and
There are many non-Arduino microprocessors that are supported by the Arduino IDE.”​

A work project was built with an Arduino. It was easy to add functionality with minimal core code changes.”
There are many non-Arduino microprocessors that are supported by the Arduino IDE.”​
:oops:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
<off-topic warning> Here is my attempt to translate for you...

You tell me i dont no the TS lol
“He doesn’t personally know the TS”

but The arduino has 32 bit arms like the due which runs code that a uno can run so you could use its usb and most any thing you want add if the TS Did his coding using a arduino it be easy.
There are Arduinos that have USB”​
and
Arduino C is easy”​
and

A work project was built with an Arduino. It was easy to add functionality with minimal core code changes.”
:oops:
OK. I agree with all of that. The original post did not mention that it was implemented with an Arduino -- of any description. It is possible that the ATMega2560 is the target processor for at least one Arduino implementation. If the current system is not implemented on an Arduino then introducing the manifest benefits of the Arduino platform is pointless. It would be as much work to convert a non-Arduino codeset into a working Arduino codeset as it would be for any other porting process.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
My thought on all this is that you have been set a task that is beyond you. If you need to ask if it is possible to port code from one processor to another, that is an indication that your skill level is not up to said task.
Yes, it can be done, but for a start , see if you can send the required data over a second serial port. If you can manage that, Then you may be able to talk to an ESP8266 to connect to WiFi. Or an SPI connected Ethernet adapter.
Doing it in steps may help you determine if you are up to it.
Getting the connections going on another 2560 board for a start will help you understand how your existing code works. Then start on another processor type. But keep your original system running untill you are sure the new one is ok.