Porting Java-based GPS application to embedded system

brian796

Joined Sep 4, 2011
I'm running a Java-based GPS application on a Windows-based carputer with a touch-screen monitor that I want to port to an embedded system. I plan to replicate the system maybe a dozen or so times, and want to avoid the high costs and complexities associated with Windows-based carputers by porting to a hardware platform that is cheaper and more user-friendly.

Any suggestions on a direction to take for this?

It's been two decades since I did any embedded systems work, so assume I'm a noob. Although currently written in Java, I'm also proficient in C/C++.

Thanks so much for your tips and pointers.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What is (generally) the application? Have an estimate on what resources it would need? Is this a dash-board size GPS screen or an iPad size?

Low end PCs such as notebooks are hard to beat on price, possible, and better footprint if your touch screen replaces the keyboard and mouse necessary.

brian796

Joined Sep 4, 2011
What is (generally) the application? Have an estimate on what resources it would need? Is this a dash-board size GPS screen or an iPad size?

Low end PCs such as notebooks are hard to beat on price, possible, and better footprint if your touch screen replaces the keyboard and mouse necessary.
It's a specialized GPS application for race cars. Right now I'm running a 10.4" touchscreen mounted on the dash, which seems to work really well. The app requires no keyboard or mouse.

The environment is pretty harsh. The hardware has to reliably survive the heat and vibrations of a race car environment. Early iterations on laptops consistently over-heated until I stepped up to a carputer. My concern with notebooks is the fanless design might be prone to overheating?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The carputer and touchscreen are $1000. I've been told that an embedded system could be a fraction of that. Am I wrong?
I think so. Of course a better description of the system would be helpful. Touch screens are not usual components of PC systems. They are components of industrial PC's like the Valueline from Phoenix Contact. I'm sure you would not like their prices either if you find $1000 objectionable. Look at it another way, in $500,000.00 race car how much effort should you expend to replace a $1000.00 part with software with a $200.00 part assuming you could port the software.