Portable Lamp Repairing - Optical switch

Rata3000

Joined Mar 20, 2019
Good day!
I'm trying to fix a portable lamp. It is powered by means of a USB-C cable. It has a battery and a photoelectric switch. The light is provided by a 54 LED units strip.
Lamp info:
https://flos.com/products/table/bon-jour/bon-jour-unplugged/#full-overlay-product-popup

The lamp fell off and hit the floor. After that, it does not turn on the LEDs

I have opened it and tested with a multimeter. I cannot get anything clear. There is 5V voltage difference between battery connectors and also between light plug pins. Still, the light won't turn on.

The LED strip turns on when a 9V current (from a different source) is applied. When a 5V-2A power from a mobile phone charger is supplied it does not turn on. How can I know what voltage is needed?

Please, find attached pictures.
How could I begin with to localize where the problem is?

Thanks a lot in advance!

IMG_20190321_011300.jpg IMG_20190321_011402.jpg

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
The lamp is listed as 2.5W , which is quiet low , so in this case the manufacturers figures may be correct ....

The leds should consume about 2W , so if you have meters , measure the current and voltage when leds are fed with your 9v supply ... current x voltage is power , if the supply is 9V a good current is 200mA ...

Rata3000

Joined Mar 20, 2019
The lamp is listed as 2.5W , which is quiet low , so in this case the manufacturers figures may be correct ....

The leds should consume about 2W , so if you have meters , measure the current and voltage when leds are fed with your 9v supply ... current x voltage is power , if the supply is 9V a good current is 200mA ...
OK!
With labeled 9V power supply current measured in multimeter is 410mA.
Measured 9V-power-supply voltage is 11,7V
Gives a 4.6 W power.

Rata3000

Joined Mar 20, 2019
The battery gives 3.7V
The USB cable gives 5V
Looks light the LED needs around 9V to turn on... How can this be possible? Could it be a voltage converter "somewhere" in the circuit board?
Sorry, a Civil Engineer here... not that much into electronics (yet...).

TrmickCO

Joined Oct 9, 2016
Anytime a device has a hard impact and stops working, I'm looking very closely at loose joints and using my continuity tester. I agree, it is strange that it now has higher power requirements after a a hard impact.

Rata3000

Joined Mar 20, 2019
Some corrections and further info:

-LED strip turns on around 6,9V. Maximum voltage applied with my 9V power source is 8,5V and current is 230mA (around 2W).
Previous measures were inaccurate.
-U3 is
TPS61500
High Brightness LED Driver with Integrated 3-A, 40-V Power Switch

http://www.ti.com/product/TPS61500
@sghioto -- you were right!
-Voltage on the LED connection socket is ~4.5, not enough to turn on the lights.
My guess: there is something wrong with the optical switch so it doesn't send the signal to the U2 microcontroller to turn on the lights.
What do you think? How could I find the malfunction?