Portable generator, Capacitor vs AVR

wml52

Joined May 8, 2014
My apology if this is not posted in the correct forum.

A friend of mine who has closed his hardware store after many years has two new portable generators that I have my choice of purchasing at cost. Both are rated at 8000 running watts and both are said to have a THD less then 5%, one is a brushed unit with AVR and the other is a brushless alternator with a capacitor for voltage regulation. I plan on using it as emergency backup for my home.

My question is what are the pros and cons of AVR vs Capacitor? Is there any advantage in so far as one design over the other given my intended use?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thank you all.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I have both types of generators & the Brushed AVR type has a mutch more stable voltage when loads switch on-off.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Given a choice I would get the AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) system. For years I supported our home with a small 4 KW (5 KW surge) generator during power outages before moving to a much larger auto start and transfer system. I would pick the AVR unit.

Ron

wml52

Joined May 8, 2014
Given a choice I would get the AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) system. For years I supported our home with a small 4 KW (5 KW surge) generator during power outages before moving to a much larger auto start and transfer system. I would pick the AVR unit.

Ron
I'm glad I asked, I was leaning towards the brushless unit thinking it would be more reliable given it would not have the electronics of the AVR and brushes and slip rings to wear. A little more complicated in the alternator windings but less to go wrong. Thank you for the input, it's very much appreciated.