PoE switches and circuits

Smkgs

Joined Jul 27, 2021
hello everybody,
I have thought about a project and I could use some expert advice. I am planning to use a PoE switch as a power source and cat6 cable to draw the power to my simple PIR circuit. Would that work or what changes has to be made?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Would what work? PoE is a source of power, but you haven’t said what you were going to do with it. Similarly, changes to what?

Do you have a circuit in mind? Schematic? Even a simple drawing? A module? The PIR sensor?

Smkgs

Joined Jul 27, 2021
Welcome to AAC.

Would what work? PoE is a source of power, but you haven’t said what you were going to do with it. Similarly, changes to what?

Do you have a circuit in mind? Schematic? Even a simple drawing? A module? The PIR sensor?
Hey yaakov, thanks for your response.
My idea is to power my PIR DC Circuit with a cat.6 cable, I know it's a bizzare idea but i want it to make it work( by "it" I mean my goal here is to replace a 12V DC input and power the circuit from a cat.6 cable coming from a PoE switch) so the PoE switch acts as a source of power for the circuit.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
...so the PoE switch acts as a source of power for the circuit.
Are you going to use the Ethernet? Are you planning on using some Ethernet connected device at the PIR sensor end to communicate the state of the sensor?

Reread what you've just posted and think about the things we don't know about what you want to do. You know what you want to do, but we can't read your mind. We're going to need more info in order to give you a good answer.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hey yaakov, thanks for your response.
My idea is to power my PIR DC Circuit with a cat.6 cable, I know it's a bizzare idea but i want it to make it work( by "it" I mean my goal here is to replace a 12V DC input and power the circuit from a cat.6 cable coming from a PoE switch) so the PoE switch acts as a source of power for the circuit.
What is the PIR sensor? Do you have a PoE circuit or module in mind? Will the PoE sensor communicate via Ethernet?