PMT Module Assembly Testing

bpm5cm

Joined Nov 16, 2018
In the Lab I work in, we had a preventative maintenance nightmare on one of our Luminex Bio-Plex 200 machines, which ultimately led to them replacing at least the PMT. They left the old one and one of my coworkers suggested I take a look at it as I'm the most electronically inclined. That said, I'm no expert. It is a HAMAMATSU HC120-23. The only datasheet I can find is here https://mi-lasers.com/wp-content/uploads/HAMAMATSU-HC120_series.pdf but it is very old. Mine also does not have a green wire. I've watched videos showing testing with an oscilloscope. They don't show how they hook it up and I do not have an oscilloscope. The concept of a negative voltage also somewhat puzzles me. I've got a general understanding, but not sure how to go about testing it. I also don't have a benchtop power supply. Here is what I have at work. Multimeter, DC-DC MT3608 boost converters, DC-DC LM2596 buck converters, breadboard and jumpers, various resistors, An arduino nano, uno, and pi zero w. I have various basic electrical components at home including a couple of different n-channel mosfets.

Am I capable of testing with what I have, if so, how? We believe it still works because at one point they had it passing calibration, but not as well as they wanted.

If it works any suggestions on integrations for future projects.

If it doesn't work or I cannot test it, are any of the components worth trying to keep and would it be safe to dig around the sealant to try to remove things (if nothing else, I'd like to keep the box for future projects). 20181116_132241.jpg 20181116_134029.jpg

PMT you mean photo multiplier tube? All I know about PMT is it consists of voltage oscillator, voltage ladder, feedback and control input. In general you can supply it for as low as +/-5V to +/-15V. That supplies your oscillator circuit and would be step up to few hundreds of volts depending on the ratio of transformer. Then the secondary of the transformer will be connected to voltage ladder where the output is transformer secondary voltage times the number of diode/capacitor in a cascaded arrangement. Then that output would be fed to photo multiplier tube which consists of dynodes. Now to control the oscillation you’ll need a control circuit where your Vin could be from 0 to 10V. If you want to check if it’s working I would suggest that you use a high voltage probe to check the output of your voltage ladder. If you don’t have that probe then you can only check the power supply, voltage control and oscillator. In terms of safety, take note you will be dealing a high voltage circuit few thousand volts.