Plz help - brushless motor ESC diode

bigjoncoop

Joined Feb 1, 2019
I am a racing quad enthusiast. Last week I took a really hard crash. I rebuilt my racing quad and used all of my undamaged components. I've been having trouble and I just realized that on one of my ESC's there is a diode missing immediately after where the ground attaches on the input. ESC still works but now I'm wondering if that's the cause of all my problems. Erratic, intermittent Behavior. I thought it was my gyro in my flight controller so I changed flight controllers and have the same issue. I've looked up the diode that should be there and it's calling for a 16 volt Shockey diode. Is that diode necessary or would that be causing my problems.

The diode is marked J1 I or maybe J1 H. Pretty sure it is J1 I. Since the J1 has a dot under it and the letter I / i has a dot under it. And the diode marking on the circuit board has the cathode pointing towards the ESC and the anode is right where the ground connects to ESC.

So basically what I'm asking is this diode necessary or could this be causing all of my issues? And can I replace this with a 1N4745a? Or a similar spec'ed smd diode?

J1-I(I) - Screenshot_20190301-083624.png

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1551414322981.jpg_1551414325919.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1551414295821.jpg_1551414298765.jpeg

bigjoncoop

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Yeah I figured that. They just seemed to work fine but I'm having trouble with flight controller. Wasn't sure if this is something that would cause any problems