Please suggest me a Powerbank for my Laptop...

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Personal Laptop - No Type C
Office Laptop - Type C port is present. But don't know whether it can be charged through or not.
My Mobile - Type C
My wife's Mobile - Micro USB
Bluetooth Speaker - Type C

Would be better if all the above can be charged through it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have not ever seen a laptop computer that would be charged via a USB port. And it makes no sense at all that there would be, given that the power requirement is above what a USB can handle.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
I guess MrBill doesn't get out much. Laptops have been charged by USB-C PD for several years now. PD delivers 5 volts until/unless a higher voltage is negotiated. 9, 15 and 20 volts are standard steps. A max current of 3 or 5 amps (may be higher now) can be delivered for 60 or 100 watts.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is correct that I have not been motivated to follow whatever fad comes along, and to replace a computer with one much faster because it needs to run the latest bloatware OS that is so incredibly large because it is so poorly written.
None of the apologists for the organizations that produce poorly written code need to respond. Any software that needs weekly fixes and patches is junk that was rushed to market prior to being ready.. There is no rational excuse for selling junk.

Besides that, USB charging connections are a fundamentally poor choice.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have not ever seen a laptop computer that would be charged via a USB port. And it makes no sense at all that there would be, given that the power requirement is above what a USB can handle.
Even though it includes a dedicated “MagSafe” connector, my MacBook can be charged through its Type-C port—and it uses a PD power supply for either option. Many other laptops use Type-C + PD for charging.

You are forgetting that USB PD (Power Delivery) can provide up to 100W (20V@5A) and the particular voltage and current are actively negotiated. USB Type-C and PD are game changers for “USB ports”.

Not only the PD part but the extreme configurability of the Type-C connector that allows to not only carry power and data, but video as well as other, even arbitrary, protocols.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
It is correct that I have not been motivated to follow whatever fad comes along, and to replace a computer with one much faster because it needs to run the latest bloatware OS that is so incredibly large because it is so poorly written.
None of the apologists for the organizations that produce poorly written code need to respond. Any software that needs weekly fixes and patches is junk that was rushed to market prior to being ready.. There is no rational excuse for selling junk.
And there's no rational excuse for buying it.

But what's that got to do with the question asked?

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
....I have not been motivated to follow whatever fad comes along.....
USB-C PD is a fad like talking movies, automobiles, the telephone, cell phones, internet, etc., etc., etc.

It's fast becoming the standard for powering all types of DC-powered devices. One 2" cube can power my laptop, run a soldering iron, charge my phone, run a blender.... any manner of devices. Power of over 100 watts is available and it's being increased all the time.

The days of separate wall warts, with all kinds of different connectors, voltages and polarities is coming to an end. It makes life simpler and eliminates the e-waste of throwing perfectly good chargers away every time a device is upgraded.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Do you really think that the USB connectors are good for 5 amps?? Particularly after they have been used for a while?? And are those USB extension cables good for that much current???
And how often will those multi-voltage chargers fail and accidentally dump 18 volts into that very small connector on your expensive smart phone?? How reliable does anybody think a cheap USB charger will actually be??
Certainly simpler is more convenient but sometimes simpler is also stupider. Just because some trend seems like a "good idea" does not remove the resulting unintended consequences that follow after a while.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Do you really think that the USB connectors are good for 5 amps?? Particularly after they have been used for a while?? And are those USB extension cables good for that much current???
And how often will those multi-voltage chargers fail and accidentally dump 18 volts into that very small connector on your expensive smart phone?? How reliable does anybody think a cheap USB charger will actually be??
Certainly simpler is more convenient but sometimes simpler is also stupider. Just because some trend seems like a "good idea" does not remove the resulting unintended consequences that follow after a while.
The 65W charger for my Lenovo Yoga 920 has been working well for about 3 years.

I plug and unplug a couple of times a day, every day.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Wow @MisterBill2 your Ludditism is really showing.

As I recall, you're against clicking links, so here's a brief rundown of USB PD (Power Delivery) which has been in use since 2012. The European Union requires that most rechargeable devices use USB PD by the late 2024.

The following is from Dxomark.com.

USB-PD protocol explained
Those manufacturers who do not use a proprietary charging protocol usually rely on USB Power Delivery (USB-PD). The USB specifications cover all aspects of USB, from hardware connectors to data transfer protocols, as well as power supply. USB Power Delivery specifications were first published in 2012 and allowed for fast charging of devices via a USB connection — up to 100W for some device categories.

Since then, the standard has been updated multiple times and the current version 3.1 offers extended charging power up to 240W, covering even the most demanding laptops. It’s not always easy to find these numbers, though. While data transfer protocol information of the different USB versions is easy to come by, you have to dive deep into the detailed specs to find the power supply version.

In addition to USB-PD, there is also USB-PD PPS (Programmable Power Supply) which is a very advanced charging technology for USB-C devices. It allows for continuous adjustment and optimization of the charging voltage, resulting in more efficient charging.

USB PD is an open and widely adopted standard, which means it is comprehensively documented, enabling easy adoption for manufacturers. In contrast, proprietary protocols are not documented publicly at all which also means that consumers simply must trust the manufacturers’ technical claims are true