Please read-DSLR canera panning platform

mike.m48

Joined Jun 26, 2017
Hello.
I'm thinking about making motorized platform for my dslr camera for shooting time lapses. I think about using arduino uno but i don't know what kind of motor i should use with it(servo, stepper motor, etc.).
Thanks in advance for your replays.
Mike

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to look into DSLR Camera Gimbals for some ideas. Not that you need a 2 or 3 axis gimbal for what you describe. Servo or Stepper would likely work, however, you need to define your rotational wants/needs. Exactly what you want to do will define the motor and also the load you plan to place on the motor. Again, you can roll your own (build) or buy an off the shelf turn key solution.

Ron

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Do you want linear motion, rotational motion or both?
How many axes of movement?
What speed, distance, angle, frequency of movement?
How accurate and repeatable should each movement increment be?

mike.m48

Joined Jun 26, 2017
Welcome to AAC!
Do you want linear motion, rotational motion or both?
How many axes of movement?
What speed, distance, angle, frequency of movement?
How accurate and repeatable should each movement increment be?
I want only rotational movment for panning camera during the recording of time lapses. I want it recording for about 1h and i want it move for about 90-120 degrees.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I want only rotational movment for panning camera during the recording of time lapses. I want it recording for about 1h and i want it move for about 90-120 degrees.
With that in mind I would think about a stepper motor similar to this one if you can live with 1.8 degree steps. My DSLR tripod mount is 1/4-20 threaded and it would be relatively easy to make a mount for the camera and use the tripod mounting screw to secure it. Then I would consider using a uC (micro-controller) like for example an Arduino with a stepper motor driver. They actually make an Arduino Shield stepper motor driver. Just about anything you need can be had through a place like I linked to or a robotics hobby shop. Not to expensive either. The uC could rotate the camera as well as trigger the shutter. Whatever you choose to program. I would think about an Arduino Uno or similar as there are hundreds of code samples available free online which would help you write your own code. This all results in a pretty simple to build turn key solution.

With the above linked stepper using 1.8 degree steps you would get 200 steps for 360 degrees leaving you 50 steps for 90 degrees of rotation. There are also "half-step" stepper motors available which would give you 100 steps for 90 degrees of rotation.

Ron