please read and help-rectifier based project

Andrew Guy

Joined Jan 10, 2009
I have been assgined a project at my college were i have been asked to put together a proposal to retrofit a damaged DC generator with an AC alternator to power an engine room whos equipment runs on DC. I am not entirey sure how to go about this and any help anyone could provide me on how to start the project or even usefull web links would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to forward any information to my e-mail address Thanks very much in advance
Andy

Andrew Guy

Joined Jan 10, 2009
Th original generator ran at 700rpm producing 1000kw.that is all the information i have been given.i have a very limited experience in electrics so realy anything you can tell me would be great. Thanks
Andy

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Might check some of the DC equipment for operating voltages. One megawat is a lot of juice, in the neighborhood of a diesel-electric train alternator.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Better to use a 3-phase generator and then rectify the 3-ph AC with a 3-phase rectifier. This produces a smoother voltage than a single phase full wave rectifier.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Th original generator ran at 700rpm producing 1000kw.
That really is not enough information; voltage or current is also needed - and are you certain about that 1,000kW figure? :eek:

1kW is the capacity of a typical automotive alternator; some go up to 2kW. But you're talking of 500 to 1,000 times that much power.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Just as interesting - what drives this alternator? You mention 700 RPM with the genny - it this a fixed speed? Lots of alternators are made to operate with a 400 Hz output. You would be stuck with either 60 or 400 Hz operation for off-the-shelf hardware.