Please help: Build for GPS tracker with SOS signalling

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Hey there AAC. I come here with a fairly desperate need to create a very specific build. I honestly have (next to) no experience in programming, and was really hoping you guys could help me.

Without giving too many details, my significant other is in nigh-on constant danger. A few years ago, she put away a gang who systematically abused and tortured her, since their release - they have been chasing her down. She's moved several times the last 2 years - but they always manage to find her - wherever in the country she moves to. We do not want a 4th repeat of what has happened, and it appears that they have honed in on her location again.

In a small aid to combat this, I thought it might be a good idea to get her a GPS tracker, so that (if kidnapped again) she can be easily found. Looking online, I can find things similar to what I'm looking for - but nothing ideal. Everything is too bulky, too conspicuous, or invasive to her privacy.

I really require the following specifications:

Build as small as possible.
Has SOS button, which 1: turns on the GPS capabilities (which I and whoever else we trust can access with an app) and 2: calls an emergency number (me) when pressed. Ideally, if not picked up - it would ring through to a secondary contact.

I emphasise , I don't want to constantly be able to track my partner - for both our sakes. I just require that, once an SOS button is hit, she's traceable and that a call is made to say something's wrong.

Once the electronics are done, I'm more than capable of making an inconspicuous outer casing. But if you guys might be able to help, in any way, with a minimalist build - I'd be eternally greatful.

Cheers

P.S: I can't link it, but there's a simple GPS tracker I'm looking to tear apart for the build. It's the "GF07 Magnetic Mini GPS Real Time Tracking Locator"

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why on earth would you want to build this when they are already readily available on the market? Designed by engineers with tears of experience. These devices can be used in most places in the world as long as there is a GPS signal.. You are not going to be able to build something like that.

Also there are a number of apps that do this with phones.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
There are smart phones which offer that feature with a single button press and also the help, I've fallen and I can't get up buttons. There are plenty of systems designed to do exactly what you are looking for. You also fail to mention your location such as country? My suggestions are based on US where I am. The "Cheers" leads me to believe Great Britain or Down Under but I am sure they have similar solutions wherever you are. You can arrange immediate contact to you if that is what you want but if she is in distress what is your plan? Likely to call the authorities which should be done first. You want 24/7 on the receiving end I would think.

Ron
Hey there AAC. I come here with a fairly desperate need to create a very specific build. I honestly have (next to) no experience in programming, and was really hoping you guys could help me.
That is why I suggest an over the counter solution.

<EDIT> Spinaker beat me to it. :) </EDIT>

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
P.S: I can't link it, but there's a simple GPS tracker I'm looking to tear apart for the build. It's the "GF07 Magnetic Mini GPS Real Time Tracking Locator"
Why not just use that device as-is? Maybe I missed one of your criteria but it seems like what you described. You could achieve much the same thing with a repurposed (smart) cellphone.

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Why not just use that device as-is? Maybe I missed one of your criteria but it seems like what you described. You could achieve much the same thing with a repurposed (smart) cellphone.
Because that tracker has no SOS function, and otherwise just tracks her location all the time. My criteria require she be able to send up a beacon, and I don't want to be able to see her location at all times.

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018
There are smart phones which offer that feature with a single button press and also the help, I've fallen and I can't get up buttons. There are plenty of systems designed to do exactly what you are looking for. You also fail to mention your location such as country? My suggestions are based on US where I am. The "Cheers" leads me to believe Great Britain or Down Under but I am sure they have similar solutions wherever you are. You can arrange immediate contact to you if that is what you want but if she is in distress what is your plan? Likely to call the authorities which should be done first. You want 24/7 on the receiving end I would think.

Ron

That is why I suggest an over the counter solution.

<EDIT> Spinaker beat me to it. :) </EDIT>
Ha, you are quite right, we are in the UK. If she's suddenly abducted, if history has taught us anything - she'd quickly have no access to her phone and it would be disposed of immediately - meaning we cannot track her at all. We need a button she can quickly hit without her scrolling through apps, and a separate device that we'll be able to track when her phone's binned. And contacting the authorities first would be a grand scheme, if they didn't take over an hour to respond - by which point it'll be too late. My plan? Look for her myself, with a few allies. I'd also call the Police, but likely get there much before them.

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018
Why on earth would you want to build this when they are already readily available on the market? Designed by engineers with tears of experience. These devices can be used in most places in the world as long as there is a GPS signal.. You are not going to be able to build something like that.

Also there are a number of apps that do this with phones.
Because none of them have the balance of features we require, and these abusers I refer to would be wise to what it is and dispose of it. This isn't their first rodeo.

Of what exists on the market, either they simply track her location, with no SOS function. Or, the ones with that function - they have added components (speakers, microphones, L.E.Ds ,screens etc.) which make them needlessly bulky. They also all give me the power to track her location at all times, which needlessly burns battery, and (more importantly) could turn me into a paranoid mess, checking on her every few minutes. It would be too invasive to her privacy, and a curse on our relationship.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Because none of them have the balance of features we require, and these abusers I refer to would be wise to what it is and dispose of it. This isn't their first rodeo.

Of what exists on the market, either they simply track her location, with no SOS function. Or, the ones with that function - they have added components (speakers, microphones, L.E.Ds ,screens etc.) which make them needlessly bulky. They also all give me the power to track her location at all times, which needlessly burns battery, and (more importantly) could turn me into a paranoid mess, checking on her every few minutes. It would be too invasive to her privacy, and a curse on our relationship.

I know for certain the global tracking systems have an SOS feature. They also have other types of signaling features. So your information is incorrect.

There are also terrestrial solutions like the medical alert services.
https://www.comfortkeepers.com/home...gency-response-systems/medical-alert-necklace

Would not surprise me if a company had similar services for crime emergencies.

In order for an alert system to work, someone needs to answer the alert. Some that has staff on call 24/7. No police station is going to answer a call from something that you cobbled together.

And what good is an SOS signal if no one knows the position of the person in distress?

You original messgae you wanted GPS tracking now you don't want it ??????

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018
I know for certain the global tracking systems have an SOS feature. They also have other types of signaling features. So your information is incorrect.

There are also terrestrial solutions like the medical alert services.
https://www.comfortkeepers.com/home...gency-response-systems/medical-alert-necklace

Would not surprise me if a company had similar services for crime emergencies.

In order for an alert system to work, someone needs to answer the alert. Some that has staff on call 24/7. No police station is going to answer a call from something that you cobbled together.

And what good is an SOS signal if no one knows the position of the person in distress?

You original messgae you wanted GPS tracking now you don't want it ??????
Are you struggling to read properly Spinnaker?

I understand that such devices already exist. My information is not incorrect, you're just not paying full attention to what I'm saying. What I'm saying to you is that buying such an obvious device will be spotted by these guys, and disposed of. They make their business kidnapping young women, to think they don't have the low down on commonly sold tracking devices is absurd. So I require something custom made. Otherwise, the added features do nothing but make the things bulkier than necessary.

And, for the 3rd time, I want GPS tracking, but ONLY when my partner sends out an SOS signal. She hits a button, at which point, the device calls my phone and I'm able to track her location until the function is disabled again. I'm saying that I don't want to ALWAYS be able to track her. Just when absolutely necessary.

If you don't get it this time, try reading it back slowly.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Ha, you are quite right, we are in the UK. If she's suddenly abducted, if history has taught us anything - she'd quickly have no access to her phone and it would be disposed of immediately - meaning we cannot track her at all. We need a button she can quickly hit without her scrolling through apps, and a separate device that we'll be able to track when her phone's binned. And contacting the authorities first would be a grand scheme, if they didn't take over an hour to respond - by which point it'll be too late. My plan? Look for her myself, with a few allies. I'd also call the Police, but likely get there much before them.
Then I would get what I mentioned in the bracelet version. A bracelet with a button. They even detect a sudden fall if the wearer is knocked to the ground.

Years ago my wife attended a class by a woman known as Paxton Quigley. You learn how to be aware of your surroundings and how not to place yourself in a dangerous or bad situation. The woman authored a few books including Armed and Female. What? Having something contact you rather than authorities is a little foolish and a waste of time when time is essential. A bracelet with a panic button and they know exactly where you are and help is on the way.

Ron

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Then I would get what I mentioned in the bracelet version. A bracelet with a button. They even detect a sudden fall if the wearer is knocked to the ground.

Years ago my wife attended a class by a woman known as Paxton Quigley. You learn how to be aware of your surroundings and how not to place yourself in a dangerous or bad situation. The woman authored a few books including Armed and Female. What? Having something contact you rather than authorities is a little foolish and a waste of time when time is essential. A bracelet with a panic button and they know exactly where you are and help is on the way.

Ron

You aren't paying attention Ron! Can't you read! They will see a bracelet!!!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You aren't paying attention Ron! Can't you read! They will see a bracelet!!!
Wear long sleeves. My wife avoids areas and remains alert of her surroundings but just in case, attached to her body is her bracelet.

S W 10 2 Inch.png

The button to press is what we call a trigger. The transmitter has a good effective range.

Ron

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018

Ron
I appreciate your input Ron, but I know the bracelets you're referring to and they don't cut it. besides, the Police here in the UK are distinctly overstretched and useless at the best of times. A response time of well over an hour is not good enough. I'd immediately be calling them in any case, but it's important that I'm in the know too so that I can do my best to aid the situation. It's for our peace of mind, and me being kept out of the loop does not offer that. It's not foolish to want to be in the know if my partner is in danger, it would be foolish to trust the Police again when they have proven themselves to be corrupt and enept.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The problem is we are out of sensible options. While I can appreciate your wanting a partner to be safe there are limits to the technology as to a home brew solution. Anything beyond a over the counter is going to result in a large bulky nightmare. My best suggestion is the type of training I mentioned. If she can't rely on security of law enforcement then it really matters not as when response time is important a phone home solution is not in the works anyway. She needs to constantly be aware of her surroundings and yes, I am aware, the laws in Great Britten preclude the use of a firearm to protect oneself. The best offense is the best defense.

Ron

JimiVex

Joined Nov 24, 2018
The problem is we are out of sensible options. While I can appreciate your wanting a partner to be safe there are limits to the technology as to a home brew solution. Anything beyond a over the counter is going to result in a large bulky nightmare. My best suggestion is the type of training I mentioned. If she can't rely on security of law enforcement then it really matters not as when response time is important a phone home solution is not in the works anyway. She needs to constantly be aware of her surroundings and yes, I am aware, the laws in Great Britten preclude the use of a firearm to protect oneself. The best offense is the best defense.

Ron
Thanks for your advice Ron. I'm likely going to modify a pre-existing device methinks. Being aware of her surroundings is all she knows now. Thankfully, she's more than well trained in self defence, it's unfortunately not helped her situation in the past. I've got a homebrew solution to the UK's tight weapons laws in the works, I prey it's enough to stop them and not just enough to anger them.

Cheers again ,
James

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Check the offerings by Spot, maybe they have something you haven't seen before. They have devices specifically for sending SOS, and they work with satellites so no cell towers are needed. You're going to be hard pressed to hide any device where someone doing a strip search can't find it. I have a couple of the Spot Trace and if outside the batteries last months. If inside or obstructed view of the sky they can be dead in just a day or two. So keep this in mind when checking out their devices.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

With little to no electronics experience, it's extremely doubtful that you will be able to invent something yourself. I think your only realistic option is to find something off-the-shelf and try to adapt it to your needs.