PlayStation 4 PSU connector ripped off, advice requested please!

Vivit

Joined Jul 5, 2018
Looking for some expert advice please! The power supply unit connector got ripped off of my PlayStation 4 1215a motherboard and I am unsure about what to do next. Most shops in the area will not touch it for under $80 so I am here looking for advice on possibly doing this myself. Any suggestions or advice on repairing it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Looking for some expert advice please! The power supply unit connector got ripped off of my PlayStation 4 1215a motherboard and I am unsure about what to do next. Most shops in the area will not touch it for under $80 so I am here looking for advice on possibly doing this myself. Any suggestions or advice on repairing it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Ever soldered before?
Looks pretty simple to fix...

Vivit

Joined Jul 5, 2018
Jony130, yes that connector. I've checked out some videos but none are quite the same to what I'm dealing with. In my research it looks like I may have to solder a wire up to the copper trace point since the pad was ripped up?

I just wanted to seek some expert advice to make sure what I'm thinking needs to be done actually needs to be done.

mcgyvr, nothing quite this small and not in a long, long time.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
it looks like I may have to solder a wire up to the copper trace point since the pad was ripped up?
Yes, he mentions that and it is a bit of a pity he did not pull the pad off the board so he could actually show the fix.
You will need to carefully scrape the green solder mask paint off the feed through hole, bottom may be best, and use some fine wire soldered to the feed through and run it to the connector pin. Wire fine enough to fit into the hole will allow you to solder it on the bottom of the board and that helps to not end up with a solder bump under the connector.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Good luck getting connection to those via holes as you will need to remove the solder mask first to get access to a conductive surface..

I wouldn't start with any assumptions.. I would get a copper desoldering braid and get all my surfaces clean first by wicking up any solder.. I really don't see that pad being ripped off.. It still looks like solder is on it..