Planet CNC Mk3/4 Output board with Servo Driver - need help wiring

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hello folks, hoping you can help me.

I have spent a number of hours now trying to figure out how to wire the following components:

Planet CNC output board that provides the following wiring diagram to a VFD (Using output board for spindle control - Planet CNC).

Which works great when I follow this wiring instruction for a VFD which then controls the spindle.

However, when I swap out the VFD out for a servo motor and its motor driver... I can't seem to get the wiring working properly.

The AC Servo motor w/ driver provides the following instructions (and pictures).:

From the manufacturer:

As per the instructions:

1 void void
2 analog voltage + 5v
3 analog input 0~10V the speed change between 0~7000rpm
4, analog voltage to ground
5 input
6 Input port 2 default speed reversal (6 connect to 78,the motor will run forword, 6didnot connect to 78 the motor will run reversal)
7 input port 1 default start signal in 4 legs and 5,6,7 between the increase of 5v voltage is valid input
8 void void (7and 8 need to connect )

9 Output signal 1
10 Output signal 1 COM
11 Output signal 2
12 Output signal 2 COM

They mentioned I only need to worry about 3-8.

And there is a company that distributes them in the US and they provide the following wiring diagram (https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2017/10/2200Wwiring.pdf.pdf) :

What I am trying to understand is how can I wire the Output board from Planet-CNC to work with this particular driver?

I am a little confused between the manufacturers diagram/drawing and the American Distributor's diagram... and of course the three relays that are available to use on the Output board.

Any thoughts, help or wiring diagrams much appreciated, its driving me batty.

Chris

Vytas Klyvis

Joined Dec 5, 2016
Your pictures seem to be missing. But from what I can understand from the US diagram is that if you correctly set the parameters you will only need to provide the start signal through your CNC breakout board as shown in the diagram?
If you have wired it like the diagram, have you made sure that all parameters are set?

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Your pictures seem to be missing. But from what I can understand from the US diagram is that if you correctly set the parameters you will only need to provide the start signal through your CNC breakout board as shown in the diagram?
If you have wired it like the diagram, have you made sure that all parameters are set?
Hello thanks Klyvis for responding.

The images from the links seem to be broken as you mentioned.

Here they are again

What I am looking for is a directional fwd/reverse signal. 0-10vdc for speed which the output board has an a on and off (or stop and start)

I am not sure I am following what wires to connect where.

Planet cnc output board:45661D72-21E9-43CC-A530-773301C137C4.png

Distributor in the US

B9F7E16B-44A5-4924-9983-C6976129F239.png

ANd the drawings etc from the manufacturer

CDD6C35D-BEC7-47D3-BB40-9207A097D66F.png

5AD1A50A-FC9D-4EBE-A48D-713910008BCB.jpeg

Vytas Klyvis

Joined Dec 5, 2016
I am guessing that you probably have little experience using vfd's. This is not a problem as long as you make sure you are working safely.
From what I can see is that the first red wire from the top goes to the analog out (0-10v) on the breakout board.
The second yellow wire goes to GND and then proceeds to the common of the middle relay.

The green wire also goes to the relay I can't make sure which terminal but my guess is the NO contact.
Jump the red wire to the black wire and remove the black wire.

You should then be good to go! All parameters of the drive will be need to setup correctly though. Are you informed on the setup of a vfd?

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hello Vytas, actually, I have managed to get it to turn on/off and now able to get it to change direction.

Now working on the speed control.

Thanks for your quick response but some study on the relays and expected inputs on the terminals sorted it out.

Thanks again.

Vytas Klyvis

Joined Dec 5, 2016
control.jpg
Does the wiring look something like above? This will probably enable you to turn directions.

Reading from the CNC-breakout board's website. They seem to configure the drive in such a way that it no longer needs an enable signal and will start the run from just the forward/reverse signal. This probably causes the confusion at this point.

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hello,

This was what I found to work:

from relay 2:

Line 2 connects to line 3 on relay/output board
Line 2 also connects to pin 7 on controller.
NO connects to pin 8 on controller.

From Relay 3:

NO connects to pin 6 on the controller.

From Output board:

Ground connects to pin 4.
0-10vdc connects to pin 3.

Just trying to work out the settings now for the output board and the CNC device to set the variable speed. So far tried 400hz with no luck.

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hey, yeah I have....

Trying to understand what frequency and settings to set now on the planet-cnc side.

When I set the output pin (for speed) to 6, and I try 400hz it causes the output board to make a very large noise, the servo however does not spin any differently except to hit maximum speed of 8000 rpm.

I also tried 800hz and 1200hz to no avail. I also tried PWM and RC Servo control.

image (5).png

The only thing I have not determined yet is whether it is "drawing" more power than 1.1A from the output board and perhaps thats the reason for the noise and/or not able to send 0-10vdc out appropriately with enough power, only meant to require 200mA so i doubt it.

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Just an update, I swapped out the Power Supply for a 12VDC transformer... and once I set PWM in the S/W I was able to send a speed instruction, but it would not hold speed, it would go from 0 upto like 50, then down to like 30, then 40, then 10 etc. etc.... then eventually it goes to 0/zero and stops.

Not sure why yet, working on the functional settings for the Driver's for the servo, but not sure yet...

Cheers.

Chris

Just to isolate the cause of the speed problem you could try to use a potmeter instead of the board for the speed control of the drive.
This way you know that the drive will function properly if the software and planet-cnc hardware is working correctly.

The diagram of the drive will show how to connect this potmeter.
Servo motors and their drives are quite picky with the correct drive parameters (rated speed, rated frequency, rated voltage, etc)

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hello Vytas, thanks again.

I did swap out the power supply and I used a multi-meter to check output and input voltage(s).

I have since connected shielded 2-core cable connected to the 0-10v and ground which in turn powers the speed control of my servo.

However, when testing the output with a multi-meter I only get about 1.7-2.3V's out of the +ve line... thus my AC Servo motor (and driver) only spins up to about 850 RPM.... there might be a little bit of noise going through the output board, as the voltage swings a little, but the RPM changes are round the 850-837-865 mark, which I can cope with.

I have not yet ran a shielded line for POWER IN (or GROUND) from the transformer, but measuring the power on the terminal registers 12.6vdc or 12.7vdc (on a second test) and stays constant, so I am not worried there.

The 12VDC is coming from a transformer that is 12V/16.5A and it is not controlling/charging/powering anything else.

I have tried testing with 1 relay on and looking at the multi-meter, with 2 relays on and with no relays on.... seems to make no difference to the voltage output on the 0-10v line output.

One other thing I find kinda interesting is when I apply the +ve line from the multimeter to the +ve 0-10 terminal and I don't connect the GND line to GND (on the output board), the voltage roughly doubles coming out of the output board? I assume based on a/the resistor it has to pass thru is causing some sort of extra current on the +ve point and thus drives the motor/servo harder?

Any thoughts or advice on how to get the max power output - it should reach 10V not 2 or 3 or 4?

I have tried 400, 800 and 1200 hz as the frequency setting which makes no change...
I have also set the minimum speed to 0 or 200, and the max to 6000

Regardless of whether i set the speed to 1000 or 2000 or 6000 the RPM doesn't seem to increase.

The pot on the output board is straight up/down , and/or perpendicular to the terminals.

----

I am going to try an external power supply to test 0-10Vdc direct to the driver, but keen to get it to work through s/w and the planet cnc/controller and output board.

I'm a bit at loss with your terminology of the +ve line and so on. So please excuse me if I dont understand the problem entirely.

Have you tried connecting a potentiometer to the drive for speed control? Not as permanent solution, but just to isolate the problems with the speed control.

I could imagine that the output board is a simple PWM to voltage converter with a potentiometer to trim the voltage. I dont know what the range is of this pot? Have you tried adjusting it?

Could you provide a schematic of how you have connected your setup? Maybe there is something obvious that I am not seeing.

cdfleischmann

Joined Jul 21, 2018
Hi folks, I have tried a different output board and also a new IDC ribbon cable. That seems to have fixed the issue.

I am now able to get variable speed, I can turn it on and off and I can change direction...

Now to investigate the ribbon and/or a new output board.

Thanks for all your help.