Pipeline.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You would only have to siphon a little bit(an inch over the med. sea level), then it would flow and increase all by itself.

We they get everything set up to my specs, and for the right price, I'll do it.

Dip, close, raise and lay over, open. like siphoning from a ditch. No suction needed.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
That project down in Chile, is a little different. Here, they're gonna use solar power to pump ocean water up to 2 high reservoirs, and then produce hydro power back down to the ocean.

I thought they had oil, but apparently they have to import most.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I saw an identical idea to use a fall from a reservoir to power a generator but it was filled by pumps acting on ocean waves instead of solar power. I think it was a Japanese island.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I was trying to find a reference for seawater but couldn't. It's denser, but has lower vapor pressure also. I suspect the density is the bigger factor and that means you get even less elevation when siphoning seawater. But I was hoping to find the number. I suppose it can be calculated from the vapor pressure and density but it's too late at night for that.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I was trying to find a reference for seawater but couldn't. It's denser, but has lower vapor pressure also. I suspect the density is the bigger factor and that means you get even less elevation when siphoning seawater. But I was hoping to find the number. I suppose it can be calculated from the vapor pressure and density but it's too late at night for that.
Vapor pressure is the same as distilled water (to two significant digits). Density is about 3% higher. So, 9.97 rounds to 10 meters from my point of view.

As for earlier comment of desalination, the pressure used determines the amount of desalinated water yield by reverse osmosis. That is, the higher the pressure, the more desalinated water can be obtained from each liter of seawater. The higher the pressure, the more energy required. Yield is less than 10% fresh water per unit of sea water (usually much less).

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
How can that be? The boiling point is elevated by the salt. I'll admit it's been a while since I did thermodynamics.
BP elevation is a function of (a) boiling point elevation constant of the solvent (0.5 for water), (b) molal concentration of solute = 3.5% NaCl is 35 grams per kg water or, 0.6 moles and (c) number of ions the solute ionizes into.

Delta T = BP elevation constant x molal concentration x # of ions/solute mole

Delta T = 0.5 x 0.6 x 2 = 0.6 degrees C.

A half degree of boiling point elevation is not going to change the first two significant digits of room temperature vapor pressure.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ah, yes ok. I misread your comment about two sig figs as referring to two figures after the decimal, and thus completely missed your point. The difference between fresh and brackish water is not going to affect most siphons.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Death Valley -80 meters.

Danakil Depression -100 meters.

Dead Sea -400 meters.

Plenty of crust around sea.

The project will never be done. That nova episode was an eco propaganda ad against it.

There was no information about the project, only about the damage the project would do.

Another one sided article.

I hardly watch nova anymore. Program description was mis-leading.

Sorry about that.